Thread: 1d Mark III - Manual Mode

1d Mark III - Manual Mode

I have never used the manual mode and people suggested that I try it for concert photography. I tried it with my 70-200 f4 lens set at a shutter speed of 640 and ISO 1600. After taking a test shot, all I get is a dark screen even when I raise the ISO to 6400. What am I doing wrong?

Re: 1d Mark III - Manual Mode

check the lens cap

check the aperture, try using f/4

lower the shutter speed to 1/200 sec

use a flash

any or all of these could solve the problem

In dark venues with minimal (colored) lighting is available, your looking at shutter speed between 1/125 - 1/250 MAX, ISO 3200-6400, and lowest possible f-stops (f4 in your case). F2.8 or lower is prefereable.

The lens cap suggestion was good... how much did you have to drink that night? [B]

Is the screen dark as in TOTALLY blank? Can you describe what type of scene you were shooting? Virtually all concerts have some kind of lighting, and at ISO 6400, f/4 and 1/640 sec, you should be able to capture SOMETHING.

Another thing you might want to try is Live View, with Simulate Exposure both on and off. (I would try off first.)

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion on the shutter speed....i already placed the lens cap in the beer mug.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius
    ....i already placed the lens cap in the beer mug

That's interesting... I usually use it as a beer mug coaster []