Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adobe Lightroom----Whats your opinion

Re: Adobe Lightroom----Whats your opinion

I too did the 30 day Lightroom trial (at least twice or so), and really liked it. There are plenty of great training resources on the web to help you get productive with it quickly. When I purchased a new MacBook Pro (about 4 months ago), they had a promotional offer on Aperture 2, so I got it (like a third the price of Lightroom). Having used Lightroom first I found it a bit frustrating to switch to Aperture. I had started to develop a particular workflow with Lightroom, and Aperture just didn't like me "flowing" the same way. I didn't find that there were nearly as many helpful training resources on the web. I've got the hang of Aperture now, and I think it has great potential to be a contender to Lightroom someday, but I'm not convinced that it's there yet. Still too many like irritants that I have with Aperture; how it handles certain camera metadata info, how you keynote photos (I like lightroom's approach much better), and I find printing in Lightroom a little more intuative too. I've purchased Lightroom - I've installed it, but haven't got around to transferring my library over yet. About 90% of my photo processing can be handled in Lightroom, for the other 10% I really like the seamless way I can move to Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by WAFKT

I too did the 30 day Lightroom trial (at least twice or so), and really liked it. There are plenty of great training resources on the web to help you get productive with it quickly. When I purchased a new MacBook Pro (about 4 months ago), they had a promotional offer on Aperture 2, so I got it (like a third the price of Lightroom). Having used Lightroom first I found it a bit frustrating to switch to Aperture. I had started to develop a particular workflow with Lightroom, and Aperture just didn't like me "flowing" the same way. I didn't find that there were nearly as many helpful training resources on the web. I've got the hang of Aperture now, and I think it has great potential to be a contender to Lightroom someday, but I'm not convinced that it's there yet. Still too many like irritants that I have with Aperture; how it handles certain camera metadata info, how you keynote photos (I like lightroom's approach much better), and I find printing in Lightroom a little more intuative too. I've purchased Lightroom - I've installed it, but haven't got around to transferring my library over yet. About 90% of my photo processing can be handled in Lightroom, for the other 10% I really like the seamless way I can move to Photoshop.

Thanks for the insight.

When they were both first introduced, I actually really preferred Aperture, but LR2 fixed a lot (though not all) of my gripes with one. Comparing the most recent releases, Aperture just isn't quite there for me... I actually prefer Aperture's workflow freedom (In Lightroom you have to work in modules, technically I think I get why they did it but I really prefer Aperture's ability to do whatever you want to a photo without dinkering (that would be my new word for that day ) around in between modules. Once you know all the shortcut keys it's not as bad (some of them will kick you around to the different modules rather than clicking the dumb buttons at the top) but it still feels a little counter-intuitive. On the plus side, although I don't us the slideshow or print modules a whole lot in LR, the Web module can be useful and the export options are great. At the end of the day, the integration with PS, Photomatrix, etc, that LR has is a really nice feature.... I don't remember if you can do this with Aperture (I just did a trial of it, never bought the package) but with LR you can send an edit right to PS from inside of LR, make changes, and come back and they update in real time, which is great, and I did find that LR had a few more features in some important areas. I personally think that Aperture has less of a learning curve (with the interface primarily) but I think at the end of the day LR lets me work faster now that I know it well.

If you're gonna get LR I'd actually suggest The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening over SK's book... I have nothing against Scott (I have read his Digital Photography books, read his blog daily, am a NAPP member, did his photowalk, going to PS world in Sept, etc etc) but I flipped through his LR book (and his PS CS4 book for that matter) and liked this choice a bit better... Scott definitely has a LOT of knowledge, I just find that this book's more of what I personally was looking for... take a look on Amazon and compare reviews (for whatever that's worth, I usually look at all of the worst ratings and go from those :P) if you're curious.

That was a lot longer than I'd planned :P

Quote Originally Posted by lculpin

At the end of the day, the integration with PS, Photomatrix, etc, that LR has is a really nice feature.... I don't remember if you can do this with Aperture (I just did a trial of it, never bought the package) but with LR you can send an edit right to PS from inside of LR, make changes, and come back and they update in real time, which is great, and I did find that LR had a few more features in some important areas. I personally think that Aperture has less of a learning curve (with the interface primarily) but I think at the end of the day LR lets me work faster now that I know it well.

That was a lot longer than I'd planned :P

Aperture will send the file to PS as a .tiff and automatically replaces it in the RAW file after edits. You have the option of keeping the original embedded but it will double the file size. It is a very seamless process. I can't say if it is easier than LR but I expect it has to be very similar since it is very easy.

I'm actually excited to see where Aperture goes from here. In fact I'd love to see Apple make a full fledged photo editing app. I'd love to abandon Adobe all together. They has done some very Microsoft-esque things lately that are probably more apparent to folks using the whole CS suite. I think they have gotten cocky and manipulative since InDesign conquered Quark. The apps are not very innovative and they bloat them with a lot of function that most will never use.

LR uses basically the same process.

I'm actually really excited for the next release of Aperture, and I too would be thoroughly thrilled if Apple made a dedicated PS-style program... they seem to have a knack for being excellent at pretty much everything they do lately, so we can hope.

I might have to dl an aperture trial again, all this talk has kinda got me missing the workflow style a little bit... :P

Thanks to all for thier input, the reviews I read pretty much agreed with the concensus on this forum. Since I do own a PC, playing with Aperture isn't an option at this point. So, I think I will go ahead and take the plunge; I am very happy with what I have seen so far. That, combined with your feedback gives me a great deal of conifidence that I won't be wasting my money.

Thanks Again,

Bob
    Bob

OK, I have Lightroom ordered---man, got to love the education pricing.
    Bob

Hmm, I just ordered Lightroom today also. No student discount however. It doesn't look like I am going to rely on it to process high ISO photos, which I don't do very often anyway. I am anxious to get started learning it. I have been using elements 7, but the more I read I wanted the finer tools available in Lilghtroom

Larry

Lightroom is a wonderful little program, a real muscle for my workflow. Yesterday I was having a blast doing some tethered shooting in the studio.

Tho I have to say, it doese help (a lot) if you've got some power in you're pc, I have used it before on someone elses pc that had an old AMD processor, nothing fancy like those quad/dual core things we have nowadays and it was a nightmare, to illustrate a bit, it took way to much time to zoom, dragging any parameter sliders felt like pushing a rock uphill and while exporting we could have had lunch. Just a little warning.

One of my fav features has to be that while importing it imports an back-up straight away to my external disc, so no worries what I mess up with the once on my HDD.

Enjoy the software!
    Jorundr.