Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 bird 3 pictures

1 bird 3 pictures

Hey guys,

Please let me know what can I do better next time. Any comments, suggestions or w/e are more than welcome.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.41/DPP_5F00_0013.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.41/DPP_5F00_0014.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.41/DPP_5F00_0015.jpg[/img]

Re: 1 bird 3 pictures

Those look pretty good. If I had been taking those shots, I would have tried to get a little lower to the water. I'm not sure how far away that bird was, but I may have tried zooming in more to have it fill more of my frame. Obviously, if I didn't have the zoom abilities that wouldn't be possible. You may want to consider cropping those down a little more so that the bird becomes a larger piece of the picture. Hope that helps!

~mike~

There's a few ways to go about this.

early morning light will look a lot better

think about your backgrounds more when composing

get a boat and get closer

Shot #1 has the best exposure. Agree with zoom more or crop more.

Adding a circular polarizer will help reduce the glare off the water.

Well I couldn't really do anything of what you suggested, I'll explain:

Getting lower - couldn't do that as there was some kind of wall which I was leaning on and put my camera on it using my homemade beanbag, so I was already at the lowest level I could be at.

Zooming - I wish I had a 70-200 with me, but all I have right now is the 17-85 and these were all shot at 85mm.

Cropping - these are already cropped. Yes I have 15mp to work with, but I think that if I cropped more then the pictures wouldn't be very sharp. I'll post in a few moments a 100% crop or close to that to show you.

Early morning light - I agree, but I don't like getting up early [:P], and besides, I went to the park with friends for a BBQ not taking photos, but of course I took the camera with me and took few shots (if ~100 is "few" haha).

Thinking about the background - yes I try to do that but most of the time when you are taking the shot you either forget to do that or don't have time... and there is a third option actually - there's noting you can do to change the background - It was a small place surrounded by walls so I couldn't do much to change the background.

Get a boat - lol it was actually a small place with walls around it as I said, so you can't go there with a boat.

Adding a CPL - you are right, but I still don't have one []

Ok here is a larger version, I cropped more tightly and resized it to fit this site (it's almost a 100% crop).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.41/DPP_5F00_0001_5F00_crop.jpg[/img]

I prefer the 100% crop [] It still looks pretty crisp and it really focuses on the intended subject.

Thanks Mark, I agree. I thought the 100% wouldn't be sharp enough, but obviously I was wrong - the homemade beanbag actually did a great job! []

yes lower, near the water or in the water. In the early AM hours the wind is less = better reflection. Police up lose loose feathers. And, get the bird to smile. A can of sardines works wonderfully for Fowl or 4 legged animals.