Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Group photo question...

Re: Group photo question...

Keller

The 18-55 lens is not very sharp corner to corner unless you are shooting at f11.

Try This;

Set your camera to ADEP and the problem is resolved.

Ah man, I wish my g/f would blame my bad shots on the lack of L glass! She's more questioning.. "Why do you need to spend $2,000 on a freaking lens?" "What was wrong with the one that came with your camera?!"

But at least now she's realized I enjoy it and my $$ is my savings to spend as I wish, I'm the one working hard for it She spends it on shoes and clothing and other things at times. I spend it on glass [] And I just make sure I take really nice pictures when I can, and if not take her on vacation!!

As it's been said though, try kicking up the AP. And make sure you're using a tripod.

But personally I'd just take lots of bad ones.. and go.. "Must be this crappy lens, need a few L lens to get this shot!"

I'm sorry butI can't help but get distracted when hotsecretary mentions "my girlfriend". I've been biting my tongue for a while but have to ask; are you male or female? (Not that it matters, I just had to ask.)
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I found a good example of my "problem"...as soon as i figure out how to post a picture in the forum i'll show you all.

Thanks for all the help!!

Except those of you who are agreeingwith my wife ongetting a L lense.

keller

I'd also try putting the camera on a tripod... about 150m away. Then when your group shot is so small your wife might suggest you buy a nice big telephoto zoom as well.

100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L should do it for the moment but I'd suggest explaining to her that it's not the "fastest" lens around and you might also need to buy a 400mm f/2.8 L in case your subjects decide tomake any sudden movements during the photo. You lucky, luckyson of a..... gun []
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Okay...here is a picture of my wife's sister and her family. She took this picture so by all means...say what you want!!!

We both think, the woman in this picture looks out of focus? Any ideas on why or how to not have this problem in the future?

XSi, 55-250 lense

ISO 400

Aperture F7.1

Exposure 1/125

Focal length 123 mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.50/Forum-pic.jpg[/img]

thanks!!!!

keller

Here is another picture...i'll be honest, i took this picture. SO BE NICE!!!

In my opinion and my wife's opinion...really the only one that counts, everyone in this picture looks out of focus.

In my defense i might have been in a hurry to take this picture so i didn't disturb the wedding photographer...at least that is the defense i am taking.

XSi, 18-55 kit lense

Focal length 41 mm

Aperture F5.6

ISO 200....no flash

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.50/Paul.JPG[/img]

keller

Did you shoot JPEG or RAW? If RAW, please open with DPP and check where is the AF point located.

After seeing the first picture I was really going to blame your 55-250 since it couldn't be the aperture - it was at f/7.1, but after seeing the second one which was taken with the kit lens... it's not likely that both are such bad lenses.

So my guess is either a user error or a problem in the camera (maybe a calibration problem). If you ask me, I guess it's a user error... but don't tell the wife, tell her the guys on the forum suggested that you get a new 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM [:P]

well, i would blame the lens for bad photo...

18-55 with no IS is a shitty lens, everyone who ever used those lens knows that.

18-55 IS is an improvement, huge, but still not good enough (hey, its the cheapest lens)

advice: change it with anything (anything is much better than that)

i dont know about 55-250, so i will not say anything about that...