Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a Tripod.... Suggestions?

I need a Tripod.... Suggestions?

I don't really want to spend over $100, any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: I need a Tripod.... Suggestions?

What camera, what lens(es), what are you shooting, what are you hoping this tripod will do for you?

I have a $75 tripod from Ritz and it's awful. In my humble opinion, you won't find anything good until at least $150-200. Well, unless you're hoping to steady a point&shoot no more than 4' off the ground.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

To be honest, I'd have to agree with Peety3. I think your best bet is to save up some more money to invest in a good, solid tripod. I spent about $350 on my Manfrotto 055XPROB and 488RC2 ball head, and I have not looked back.

Trust me, save yourself $100 and don't bother with any flimsy, cheap tripods. Save up for a bit, and do some research on some better tripods.

Best of luck...

Look for a used one at KEH or ebay. It is still hard to stay under $100 but can be done.

They have a MANFROTTO 725B for $105.

Mark
    Mark

I have a manfrotto 055proB and a vanguard SBH-100 or 200 ball head... dont remember right off hand... but I spend a Little less than 200 for both. Solid stuff. I have been happy with them.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Here's an option for you.

If you want a good tripod for under $100 don't buy a new one. Anything new for under $100 is not very good at all. I'd recommend going to ebay and buy a used Manfrotto 3021 for example. A few years ago they were what a lot of pro photographers used. They were go enough for them back then, they'll be good enough for you right now. They aren't as light or as nice as the expensive new ones but, they are still really stable nice tripods for someone on a budget. If your pictures don't turn out, you won't have to worry about blaming the tripod. On the other hand, if you purchase a brand new under $100 tripod, chances are it won't be very stable and you won't be happy with it.

I suggest you save some more on a far better tripod. One that will take years before you would need an upgrade.

For me, I'm looking at the Benro A-500EX and will check on some Manfrotto tripods later.

Current line up is a gripped 450D, 430EX II and a 17-55 but I have plans on buying a 70-200 2.8 ISU someday so I'm looking for a tripod that can carry that much weight. Since we're talking about tripods, any suggestions for my gears?

I agree with what everyone else said. I couldn't see the point of spending lots of money on a tripod and I got a cheap SunPak. It feel apart within a year. The second one fell apart in 7 months (and I didn't use them that much). So, I ended up with a Manfrotto and I've been very happy with it. It's more expensive, but it will pay for itself in the long run.

Regards,

Tony

I bought a 718B Manfrotto tripod for $75 on B&H...works pretty well for what I do...I usually shoot with the 70-200 f/2.8 NON-IS and with the 24-70.

I must say that since the 24-70 doesn't have a tripod ring you have to be more careful since it's kind of heavy, but it didn't give me any problems at all up until now. I've had it for 4 months.

hope it helps

Andy

I've been looking for a new Tripod myself, great recommendations.

I've got a 70-200 2.8 IS, do all these suggestions support something like the 5DII with a BG and the 70-200... just wondering as I'll be replacing a cheap junk Tripod that I had for my G2 way back when that obviously weighs nothing, but the 70-200 is 3lbs itself

I currently have a 40D, but the 5D is most likely my next upgrade. But the 40D is just under 2lbs.. so I guess something that'll support 5lbs+ no problem. Is the Manfrotto 055XPROB a good one for something like this?