Thread: 100 f/2.0 and 100 f/2.8 macro

100 f/2.0 and 100 f/2.8 macro

I've asked a similar question where people touched upon this subject, but I want to know what everybody thinks about owning both of the above mentioned lenses. Too much overlap or does each have their practical applications? I have used the 100 f/2.8 for macro before but when I tried using it in low light situatons it just kept focus hunting. Would the f/2.0 be better at that?

Re: 100 f/2.0 and 100 f/2.8 macro

for sure the f/2 will focus better; I'm not sure i've used a slower focusing lens as the f/2.8 100 mm macro. Your viewfinder will also be a little brighter which will assist in manual focus if your camera body doesn't perform that well with AF in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent
    Too much overlap or does each have their practical applications?

There's not too much overlap. The f/2.8 has a more "clinical" bokeh, whereas the f/2 has a more portrait-style smooth bokeh. Of course there's the difference in minimum focus distance, low light shooting, DOF control, and focus speed.

I have used the 100 f/2.8 for macro before but when I tried using it in low light situatons it just kept focus hunting. Would the f/2.0 be better at that?

I don't know, but the most helpful thing will be a focus-assist lamp, such as the one that comes with an external flash unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I don't know, but the most helpful thing will be a focus-assist lamp, such as the one that comes with an external flash unit.

Will the focus-assist lamp work in AI Servo Mode? And what if you want to use the focus assist but the flash? Can that be done? Just help focus, but still use natural light?

Will the focus-assist lamp work in AI Servo Mode?

Yes.

And what if you want to use the focus assist but the flash?

No problem, you just have to customize it in the camera menu. You can also buy the ST-E2, but it's awefully expensive to buy just for the $2 focus assist lamp. At least with the flash you get something else for your money. I wish there was a cheaper and smaller focus-assist lamp, but I haven't found one yet.

Might want to make sure you do not have the 100 Macro set for the full focus range. I've only had problems with focus hunting when it was set to the full range.

The micro or macro is a special lens. Does not preform as well as the 100mm f2.0 at 100mm distance. With the micro and ext.tubes, one can copy 35mm slides, if with tripod and hand switch and a back light. Make a holder for the slides. The macro or micro 2D stage from Adorama helps some for macro,micro work. Check out Tokina, save a few $$. POP Photo rated that lens as the best micro EVER tested, about 3 yrs ago. Now, Tokina has the 100mm f2.8 II, improved.

If shooting inside the high school gym action shots( BB,VB) , the 100 f/2.0 will help with 1/2 f/stop improvement over the 2.8. Few lenses work best at their max open f.stop.