I normally shoot high school andcollegesports with the rare professional event on my resume. I've shot everything from the U.S. Olympic Softball Team to a "Hooked on Golf"tournament for grade school kids. I think I understand the area of media credentials, copyrights and usage pretty well, but I had a new situation arise this weekend.

I had a confrontation with a soccer tournament director this weekend that was a first for me. The strange part is I was photographing my own 13-year old daughter. Apparently, the organizers had arranged to have a "professional" shoot the tournament and sell photographs to parents. Heprobably complained to the organizers when he saw my EF400 f/2.8 L IS USM on the Canon 5D MKII. Regardless of whatsparked the concern, I was asked to put away my gear because the organizers had an exclusive arrangement with the vendor.

Needless to say, I refused. I noted that I wasnot the only parent with a camera and was told that mine "was too professional." The discussion was pretty ugly and the director threatened to call the police. I responded by threatening to call my lawyer. Needless to say, the police didn't come arrest me and I kept shooting. As a side note, the venue is a local public park.

I shoot a lot of kids sports under contract for individual parents and players. I can see a time when I'm going to be under contract to shoot a player and theorganizers are going to have contractedwith an event photographer. Legally, can theorganizerssellexclusive rights to an event on public property that doesn't charge admission or restrict parents from using their own camera gear (as long as it isn't too nice, of course)?

Anyone who has been down this road, I'd love to hear what you have learned.