Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Camera Raw - Bait and Switch?

Re: Adobe Camera Raw - Bait and Switch?

That totally rotts!! Shame on you Adobe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    I wish they'd stop being fancy, and just be reliable

My dad is the same way. He actually just changed all the dialogue boxes on his windows desktop to be the retro boxes with sharp edges. They look like they're from Windows 98! But that's not reliability really I guess haha.

I like reliability too, but I'm not against the flashy, sleek looking designs haha.

Sorry, I got nothing constructive to add to the thread.

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by RazorTM
    The person saving the file has many backwards-compatibility options. He can save the file in Office 2003 .doc format.

Of course you're right. The point is, you have to remember to do that every time - at least every time you'll be sharing that document with someone using pre-2007 software.

Not a huge deal, didn't stop me from buying Office 2007. But annoying nonetheless. Keeping track of who's using what is a pain...

The problem with the excellent idea is the latest DNG converter doesn't support my 7D CR2's and therefore my options are:

1) Wait until the new DNG converter supports my 7D. (At which time the converter will not support CS3)

2)Use Canon's DPP and save as 16bit TIFF and then use CS3 ( which won't save as jpeg ) and then re-open with DPP and then convert. If it wasn't for PS CS3 being such a powerful program....I would boycott.

I'm compelled to choose #2 and only shoot RAW when doing portraits. My live action sports simply is to labor intensive for all of this conversion steps.

Shame on you Adobe....I agree!

Cheers,

Jay Scott

weclickyoupick.com

Quote Originally Posted by weclickyoupick.com
    The problem with the excellent idea is the latest DNG converter doesn't support my 7D CR2's

Are you saying that DNG Converter 5.5 gives you an error message? When I use it, it converts 7D CR2 files just fine, and I am able to open them in ACR CS3.

Or are you referring to the fact that Adobe does not yet "officially" support the 7D? That is true, but it applies equally to DNG Converter as well as ACR CS4 (and Lightroom 2.5).

1) Wait until the new DNG converter supports my 7D. (At which time the converter will not support CS3)

That is incorrect. DNG files created by the converter can be opened just fine in CS3, even after the next DNG Converter upgrade.

2)Use Canon's DPP and save as 16bit TIFF and then use CS3 ( which won't save as jpeg ) and then re-open with DPP and then convert.

I don't think any of that makes sense.

Thanx for the feedback Daniel....

Yes...I was assuming that when Adobe lists tons of cameras and my 7D isn't on there....that the DNG 5.5 wouldn't work. I could have sworn I read the the DNG 5.5 wouldn't work with CS3....but maybe I'm confusing with the latest edition of ACR.

I'll try to download the most recent DNG and try it with my 7D RAW's.

As far as not making sense per se.....I save the CR2 as a 16bit TIFF while in DPP. When I open this TIFF in CS3.....I can adjust....but CS3 won't let me save to jpeg from a 16bit TIFF. I have to go back to DPP to convert to jpeg.

Thanx again....I'll let you know if I have issues with the most recent DNG.

Cheers, Jeff

CS3 won't let me save to jpeg from a 16bit TIFF

Yes it will. Adobe designed it so that you have to manually convert to 8-bits first:
    • Image -> "Mode" -> "8 bits/channel"

There are many good Photoshop books and videos for beginners. I recommend that you check out Lynda.com.

Thanx for the "beginner's" tip. Lynda has been quite helpful!

When I discovered that you, indeed, cannot save to jpeg from a 16bit TIFF in CS3...I realized that I could drop down to 8bit.....but that's not saving to jpeg from a 16bit TIFF.

Here's why I wouldn't want to drop from 16bit TIFF to 8bit TIFF before saving to .jpeg:

"Digital images are made up of three channels of picture data: Red, Green, & Blue. In 8 bit there are 256 "steps" of information per channel from absolute black to absolute white. In 12 bit (which is what your camera actually is producing, Photoshop just rounds it up to 16 bit) you get 4,096 "steps" per channel for the same range of information. In true 16 bit mode, you get 65,536 steps of color for each channel from absolute black to absolute white, so you can see that as you use higher bit files each step is increasingly smaller. more and smaller steps means smoother color.
    <p itxtvisited="1"]
    <p itxtvisited="1"]The reason this makes a difference, is that any editing step you make with a digital darkroom software program, cost you some steps of info for each edit. Start with more and smaller steps and the loss is increasingly minute with less consequences to the image.
    <p itxtvisited="1"]
    <p itxtvisited="1"]Almost all output devices today are 24 bit (8 bits per R,G &amp; B channel) the ideal is to be sendign the output device a "perfect 8 bit file"."
    <p itxtvisited="1"]Thanks for the previous tip though concerning the lastest version of DNG....I had sucess downloading the DNG5.5 and was able to convert my 7D CR2's to DNG.
    <p itxtvisited="1"]My only question now is.....how much do I lose in going from CR2 to DNG...as I noticed the files are smaller? I'll have to research that one!
    <p itxtvisited="1"]Cheers,
    <p itxtvisited="1"]Jeff

Here's why I wouldn't want to drop from 16bit TIFF to 8bit TIFF before saving to .jpeg

A JPEG file can't use more than 8 bit data. Whatever you're using to save as JPEG is doing the 16 to 8 bit conversion. As long as you've done all your work while in 16 bit mode, and ensured all the work is mixed (flatten layers), then you've got a very high quality 16 bit image to use for the final conversion step.

Workflow by numbers:
    1. You load your TIFF.
    2. Process it all while at 16 bit.
    3. Next, optionally, you may save as PSD to keep a high quality 16 bit with layers, etc if you'd like.
    4. Next, flatten to ensure the mixing occurs while still at 16 bit.
    5. Once again, optionally, you can save a copy still at uncompressed 16 bit if you'd like.
    6. Convert to 8 bit, and save to JPEG.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thanx David,

Now that Daniel has helped me get from my CR2 to DNG....I can now save straight from DNG to JPEG in CS3. So I won't be using Canon's DPP for CR2 conversion. Am I losing anything by not going from CR2 to TIFF and then to JPEG in CS3? In other words....is DNG 8 or 16bit?

I appreciate your help.....both of you!

Jeff