Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adobe Camera Raw - Bait and Switch?

Re: Adobe Camera Raw - Bait and Switch?

Quote Originally Posted by weclickyoupick.com
    Thanks for the previous tip though
    concerning the lastest version of DNG....I had sucess downloading the
    DNG5.5 and was able to convert my 7D CR2's to DNG.

Great! You're welcome.

I realized that I could drop down to 8bit.....but that's not saving to jpeg from a 16bit TIFF.

David is right. There is no such thing as "saving to jpeg from a 16bit TIFF". It has to be converted to 8 bit first. Some software will do it for you automatically, others require you to manually do it (Photoshop).

how much do I lose in going from CR2 to DNG...as I noticed the files are smaller?

You lose nothing. The files are smaller because they use smarter compression. (It's like the difference between LZW-compressed TIFF and ZIP-compressed TIFF.)

If you use sRAW, you will find that the DNG files are much larger. That's because DNG was not designed to contain sRAW as is, so it has to be converted to a larger file size.

is DNG 8 or 16bit?

It's the same as whatever your raw file is. If your CR2 file is 14-bit, then the DNG is 14-bit.

I have Photoshop CS2. Is there any way to used and edit my CR2 files from a Canon Rebel T2i?

I can completely understand the frustration, but you need to also look at it from the business point of view.

They develop new versions of one software application to work with the new versions of the other primary software application! E.g, the Newer ACR is for the Newer PS. It's not a bait nor switch.

How Much does it cost to download, install and use ACR? Last I checked it didn't cost anything. Nothing extra anyways beyond what you already paid for Photoshop.

Should we expect continued support forever from Adobe for old outdated software? The reality of things is, No! Keep in mind, old outdated in Computer tech is 6 to 18 months.

Adobe is in the business of developing software, and just like any other company in this our favorite free market capitalist society, they are also in the business of making a profit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, is there? Why should Adobe or any other company be expected to continue developing software that is backward compatible with older outdated software. They wouldn't be in business very long if they had to keep supporting outdated software that is no longer on the market with new "Free" downloads. They are simply doing their best to keep us up to date at the same time keeping all their current software up to date working with each other. We would all lose out if they couldn't make any profit.

Computer technologies, (Hardware and Software) has been the same since it really started taking off for the home personal use in the 1980's. It is constantly evolving and frequently updated with the newer and better. Knowing this ahead of time we cannot honestly expect any company to continue supporting the old outdated just because there are still a few who might be using it.

Compared to the late 80's through the 90's the evolution of computer tech has slowed some. It used to be your computer and software were outdated almost as soon as you walked out the store with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cma6

I have Photoshop CS2. Is there any way to used and edit my CR2 files from a Canon Rebel T2i?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Back on page one of this thread Daniel Browning posted a link to where you can Download the Adobe DNG Converter. DNG is essentially just another RAW file format. Convert your CR2 files to DNG and you should be able to open them with Photoshop.