Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Camera Raw - Bait and Switch?

Adobe Camera Raw - Bait and Switch?

Am I completely missing something or is Adobe gone gangster? Not that I need too, but I saw an update for Camera Raw recently and went to look at the download. Since they went to version 5 the minimum requirements are CS4, Elements 6.0, or Premiere 4.0. I own CS3. Does this mean that if I buy a new body in the next year that I will not be able to convert my raws with ACR unless I upgrade to CS4? They'll support ACR for Elements 6.0 but won't support it for CS3?

Simply unbelievable.

Alan

Re: Adobe Camera Raw - Bait and Switch?

Chuck, yes, it's true. You need CS4. One option is to use another CR program, such as Digital Photo Professional, convert to a TIF, then you can use CS3.

This is the reason I went with Aperture. I have CS3 and they refused to update the RAW to support my 5DmkII.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee
    Does this mean that if I buy a new body in the next year that I will not be able to convert my raws with ACR unless I upgrade to CS4?

Correct. The only workaround is to convert to DNG, then the old CS3 version will read it.

This is the problem I ran into myself recently after upgrading to 5D Mark II. Where exactly do you convert to DNG? I did not see that option in Digital Photo Professional that came with the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Xp
    Where exactly do you convert to DNG? I did not see that option in Digital Photo Professional that came with the camera.

It's not a Canon thing, it's an Adobe thing:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

Click on the link under "DOWNLOADS" to get the free Adobe DNG Converter. (It is updated regularly with support for new cameras.)

Thanks for the link. I just tried it, and the DNG files work fine with ACR 4.6 (CS3)

they did the same thing from CS to CS2, and CS2 to CS3. I forget
    which one wouldn't support the 40D RAW files, but I know I had to
    upgrade or do the ol' .DNG conversion workaround.

Adobe is by
    no means the worst offender at forcing proprietary changes on their
    consumer base. There's really no alternative if you want to use their
    products - from Apple to Microsoft to Adobe to ...etc. It's
    an accepted practice for consumers to shell out hundreds of dollars every year or two so they can continue to use their original software with any degree of compatibility.

Imagine if your car simply stopped
    working after 18 months if you didn't buy some new
    type of filtration system. Or the electricity
    in your home - every year it required a new converter to
    supply current at your receptacles.

unreal. Office 2007 saves Word docs as .docx files instead of .doc, the file type they've used since the beginning. Microsoft has offered owners of previous Office suites a free downloadable utility program that will open the new files, but I wonder for how long...

I hate word 2007. I liked 2000 much better.

I wish they'd stop being fancy, and just be reliable. But, doesn't move software, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    Office 2007 saves Word docs as .docx files instead of .doc, the file type they've used since the beginning. Microsoft has offered owners of previous Office suites a free downloadable utility program that will open the new files, but I wonder for how long...
    The person saving the file has many backwards-compatibility options. He can save the file in Office 2003 .doc format.