Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: beginners lighting kit questions

Re: beginners lighting kit questions

Awesome.........[]

Njoy the day....I'm heading out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

The Vivitar, when purchased new. should come with the PC-1 Sync Cord (if I remember correctly). By the way--why would you try triggering the flash by anything but the hotshoe when it's on camera?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I was asking because I was under the impression that you cannot connect the Nikon SB-24 to the hotshoe of the Canon cameras. So I was seeing if there is a way to mount the flash to the camera in case I did want to use it on camera without any problems. I might be way off on this tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    I was asking because I was under the impression that you cannot connect the Nikon SB-24 to the hotshoe of the Canon cameras. So I was seeing if there is a way to mount the flash to the camera in case I did want to use it on camera without any problems. I might be way off on this tho.

Check this out.

I know it's possible to connect flashes that aren't specifically designed for the EOS system, but on the whole, I wouldn't recommend it. You can do what you want, but I wouldn't do it (of course, I just bought another Vivitar 285 off of ebay last night with an unknown sync voltage). ;-)

Thanks for the link Sean. You come through once again.

Congrats on your newest Vivitar! I just picked up a Nikon SB-24 off Ebay myself for a pretty good price. Now to get another one.

I was looking at your flickr account, I like how you give a lighting description for the pictures you take. Really helpful in studying lighting. I also noticed you use a softbox quite often. I've been looking for one myself. Do you have one you can recommend at an affordable price. By affordable, I mean as cheap as possible because small things here and there are starting to add up. Haha!

I saw this:

http://www.adorama.com/LTBSB2028.html?searchinfo=softbox

Not much of a description, but it's fairly large for a good price. It also comes in 12x12 and 18x18

Also saw:

http://www.adorama.com/LQSBM.html?searchinfo=softbox

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Softbox-for-Speedlight-Flashlight-Portable-Flash-Stand_W0QQitemZ110423421620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item19b5bfb2b4&amp;_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen

http://www.adorama.com/LQSBM.html?searchinfo=softbox

I think the Lumiquest Softbox III8" x 9" surfacecan create pretty soft edge shadows from 10ft and in. Otherwise, if it's not to windy, umbrellas are the most versatile way to get soft light. It also creates a round catch light in the eyes.

do you have any example pictures you can post with this product? I thought a bigger box would be better. If I can get away with a smaller one, that would be great.

Yes, there's one in particular I can recommend if a small softbox is what you're looking for--the Alzo Digital Porta-Flash Mini Softbox. You can find similar items (in fact, you can find the Alzo softbox, too) a little cheaper on ebay (search for "flash softbox"). I bought the Alzo one on ebay because it was a bit cheaper there. I believe this would probably be identical yet cheaper (and with free shipping), but I can't attest to it with certainty as I don't own that particular one.

That said, you might just want to start out with an umbrella. I've got two softboxes, but honestly my white shoot-through Westcott collapsible umbrella gets used much more than they do. In fact, I'd say I use an umbrella 4 to 1 over either softbox.

I used an umbrella yesterday and, as always, it worked quite well. I did have to weigh down the lightstand with 3 sandbags, though, as it was quite windy.

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera left (in front of subject), 1/4 power, shot through a white umbrella. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera left (behind subject), 1/16 power, bare, to act as a hint of rim/hairlight. Flashes triggered via Cybersyncs.

Sweet picture Sean. I love the soft light and skin tone.

I did order an umbrella, I will most likely use that for outdoor shooting, but I wanted a softbox for indoor experimenting with rim lights, cutting out light, and expressionist type photos. Thanks for the recommendation.

The other softbox I have is the 28" Westcott Apollo. It's decently well-made, large, and provides a very nice lightsource. It's a good for indoor portraiture, but of course, it is a bit more expensive.

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285HV, 1/2 power, camera left, shot into a Westcott Apollo 28&amp;quot; softbox, triggered by Cactus V2s. Background is a Botero 37 White/Black background.

What are your thoughts on this barn door item? My alternative thought is to buy some black board and just cut it and attach with velcro. Although that won't be as easily adjusted, nor as durable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/barn-door-honeycomb-grid-gel-set-studio-flash-soft-box_W0QQitemZ350249237760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item518c7b3d00&amp;_trksid=p3286 .c0.m14