Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: beginners lighting kit questions

Re: beginners lighting kit questions

Sean, remember the light stand, swivel head, and umbrella you
    recommended from Mpex? Well I guess it's been on back order this
    entire time and I haven't received it yet. Any suggestions on
    alternatives? They listed a buncha of replacements, but I'm not sure
    what will work best for my Nikon SB and CTR-301P triggers.

If possible I'd like to keep the total for the light stand, swivel, and umbrella around the same prices as what I previously ordered which was around $80 or so.

If you can help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen

Sean, remember the light stand, swivel head, and umbrella you recommended from Mpex? Well I guess it's been on back order this entire time and I haven't received it yet. Any suggestions on alternatives? They listed a buncha of replacements, but I'm not sure what will work best for my Nikon SB and CTR-301P triggers.

If possible I'd like to keep the total for the light stand, swivel, and umbrella around the same prices as what I previously ordered which was around $80 or so.

If you can help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I actually asked Sean the same question because I was tired of waiting formpex to restock. mpex recommends theInterfit 8.5 ft Air Cushioned Light Stand as a replacement for the LumoPro 8' Black A/C Stand but Sean said he got one and sent it right back because he was unhappy with the quality. He pointed meto theImpact Air Cushioned Light Stand, Black - 8' (2.4m). It'smyonly experience with a light stand so I don't have anything to compare it to but I likeit so far. Sean caveated (can you make caveat a verb?) hisrecomendation by telling me that he hasn't used them himself but there were many positive comments from users on the strobist forum on Flickr. I paired it with the LumoPro LP634 Umbrella Swivel Adapter from mpex and the Westcott Umbrella - Collapsible, Optical White Satin - 43'' available at either mpex or B&amp;H. All of that adds up to about $75 plus shipping.

Sweet! That's the exact info I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

By the way, do you know what the black cover on the umbrella is use for? Just a thought, but it seems you could cut out a section in the middle and use it kind of as a soft box right?

By the way, do you know what the black cover on the umbrella is use for? Just a thought, but it seems you could cut out a section in the middle and use it kind of as a soft box right?

I just thought it was for protection but I do know that it's a pain to get back on again! If you figure out how to make a softbox out ofit be sure to post how you did it :-)

They said the stand is the only item on back order. Did you order that replacement lightstand from mpex? Because they are asking me for a item #. And does that stand work with the original swivel head? I don't want to just replace the stand and the swivel head doesn't work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    I just thought it was for protection but I do know that it's a pain to get back on again! If you figure out how to make a softbox out ofit be sure to post how you did it :-)

The black cover is useful when using the umbrella in a reflective fashion (as opposed to shoot-through) as it controls the amount of light spilling around the room (if indoors, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

The black cover is useful when using the umbrella in a reflective fashion (as opposed to shoot-through) as it controls the amount of light spilling around the room (if indoors, that is).

We must be talking about a different "black cover". The one that came with my umbrella is a protective sheath (kind of like ones that sometimes come with rain umbrellas). It's not the "Removable black cover allows the light source to "shoot-through", as a more direct light" kind thatsometimes comes with conventional reflective umbrellas.

Sean, did your Westcott Umbrella - Collapsible, Optical White Satin - 43''come with one of these covers (the latter that is)?

They said the stand is the only item on back order. Did you order that replacement lightstand from mpex? Because they are asking me for a item #. And does that stand work with the original swivel head? I don't want to just replace the stand and the swivel head doesn't work with it.

The theImpact Air Cushioned Light Stand, Black - 8' (2.4m)is from B&amp;H. TheLumoPro LP634 Umbrella Swivel Adapter from mpexworks fine with it so go for it :-)