Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: beginners lighting kit questions

beginners lighting kit questions

I have experience in video lighting, but I'm completely new to photography lights. Having a light kit full of fresnel/maxi brutes etc would be great, but I just can't afford that. I saw this on craigslist, what are your thoughts?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pho/1350819094.html

I would like something flexible that can be used for portrait lights, product lighting, and experimental lighting that can use gels, as well as inexpensive and won't burn my apartment down.

What are your suggestions? Thanks.

Re: beginners lighting kit questions

Cozen

I have the Elinchrom D lite 400's and couldn't be happier. I am still new to lighting and have found these to be very forgiving and easy to operate. I've got a very basic web site if you want to have a look at, in the studio section most of these were done with the Elinchrom's www.rebeccasphotographics.comI am in country QueenslandAustralia, and know we just don't get the selection or service as you do in the States. Hope this helps.

Regards

Scott

If you want something [relatively] inexpensive, yet very flexible & portable, you might want to take a look at the information contained in the Strobist, and more specifically the Lighting 101 section. When reading it, keep in mind you don't actually need Pocketwizards starting out, as there are many lower cost alternatives to fit any experience level.

So what can you do with small, shoe-mount flashes used off-camera? Quite a bit...

(3 flashes--one is creating the sun effect in background)

(3 flashes--two visible in background)

(2 flashes)

(1 flash)

(1 flash)

(3 flashes)

Thanks for both of your replies.

I like the Elinchrom D's as it is probably something I'm more use to using when lighting, but they are out of my budget. also they don't look as portable as I'd want them to be.

I read through the lighting 101 blog and I have to say, that is some great info. That is something I would be interested in, but would have to practice a lot with as I'm use to lighting with constant light. If I were to start with one flash(strobe), umbrella, stand kit, would you recommend getting a canon brand flash since I don't have one yet.

I found a few Nikon SB strobes for decent prices, but I wouldn't have the option to use it on my canon 40D body. I'm thinking about the 430 EX or EXII. Thoughts?

Keep an eye out for used Flashes online, they seem to be up more than lens

I was going to get the 430 when I first looked, but decided to shell out the extra for the better flash as I knew it won't be replaced unless I break it!

I picked up a 580 and I also am learning myself... strobist is a great site for information and as you get better it's a great site for small little assignments to learn more and more.

Remember lighting will cost you a bit to start, but it'll last pretty much forever like a good lens! Also if you ever get more into lighting you'll most likely pickup another flash or two, so your first one doesn't have to be the best ..

Oh ya, Sean great photos and use of light..

just a little clarification needed. If I buy a say 430EX, I can use it off camera by simply connecting the flash to the camera through the PC connection. And this is by a cable. I'd imagine the cable would be a pain and semi limiting. What are ways to do this wireless?

Same question if I buy a Nikon SB flash but using a Canon 40D body

My advice is this--if you absolutely need the flash on camera at some point or another, get a Canon flash to start out with. My first flash was a 580EX, and there have been times I was certainly glad I had it (as the situation required the less-flattering flash-on-camera approach). However, I can tell you that 95% of the time my 580EX sits in my gear bag unused. Another 3% of the time I'll use it off-camera (when I need more umph out of a flash), and the other 2% it's used on-camera. I don't use it often simply because of the high replacement cost of the flash. I'd much rather beat the heck out of my cheaper, used Vivitar 285HV flashes (most bought for less than $50) than to risk damaging my 580EX. As it stand right now, I've got 3 Vivitar 285HVs, 1 Vivitar 285, 1 Vivitar DF400MZ, and 1 580EX.

Having non-TTL strobes means I have to adjust the flash power manually. However, after a little while, this becomes second nature and isn't a problem. If I were shooting weddings frequently, I'd probably want (and could thus afford) having several Canon ETTL capable strobes. However, I'm doing just fine with my Vivitars. I love them. They are quite rugged and reliable (although some of the newer 285HVs have had quality control issues).

I'd suggest getting a relatively cheap basic setup first--cheap flash (used or new Vivitar 285HV, used SB-24/SB-28, etc), white Westcott collapsible umbrella, LumoPro LP606 lightstand, LumoPro LP633 umbrella swivel (the umbrella LumoPro items are available at MPEX), and some way to trigger your strobe (either cheap ebay trigger or Cybersyncs--you might need a hotshoe adapter to connect the receiver unit to your flash depending on the system you choose).

Cozen
    As far as off camera flash goes with the 430 it depends on how far off flash you want to go. Radio triggers are the way to go and Sean Setters (strobist guru) is the man to talk to there. With the Elinchrom lights I rely on the flash of one light to set the rest off, this works very well for me, in the studio setting. This is not particularly successful out doors in day light. I have a 5m ETTL cable I use to set off my 430EXII, works well but it is still only 5m long. (16feet approx) so it is limiting, but it

I like the idea of the vivitar flash unit as well as the umbrella, stand, and the swivel bracket as they are all relatively affordable and transportable. Seems I can get all of the above for around $150

The only question I have is about the way to trigger the flash. I'd like something wireless for ease of use. So far I've seen the Cactus V2 and the Cybersync you recommended. There seems to be a large difference in price. The Cybersync is about $150 for a transmitter and receiver, where as the Cactus V2 is about $40 for Transmitter and receiver. Do I have this all correct?

Thanks again for all the useful information and patience from all of you.