Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Adorama!

Question about Adorama!

Okay, so I have previously posted that i have a tamron 200-500 for sale, but now i am thinking about selling it to adorama. My question may sound paranoid, but how trustworthy are they? If i ship my lens to them for a quote (insured shipping of course ) how can I be sure they'll ship it back if i don't like what they're offering? And how can I be sure that I'll recieve the money if i accept their offer? I know they're large and probably would have gained a bad rap if they ripped people off, but still- are they as good as B+H?

Re: Question about Adorama!

You'll have no issues.

I have ordered new equipment, used equipment, refurbished equipment and prints from them. If used equipment doesn't check out before shipping, you get a phone call describing the problem and refunding your money. If a print looks suspect, somone will drop me a note and confirm colorsor lighting.

They just do an excellent job...and they have a customer representative that posts on the forum if you need to discuss a problem.

<table width="1544" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" class="MsoNormalTable" style="margin: auto auto auto 4.55pt; width: 1157.9pt; border-collapse: collapse; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;"]
    <tbody>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes;"]
    <td colspan="3" width="1544" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 1157.9pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #ece9d8;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]You may find that your local camera store will give you more for used equipment. No shipping cost, etc. <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]You need to shop around for the best deal - you can get quotes over the phone or on-line.<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1;"]
    <td width="93" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 70.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #ece9d8;"]</td>
    <td width="93" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 70.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #ece9d8;"]</td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes;"]
    <td colspan="3" width="1544" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 1157.9pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #ece9d8;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]I have sold a number of items and found the store 6 miles away gave me the highest price. <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]By the way, now is the time to sell - school is starting and photo classes will cause a spike in used camera sales.<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

This is a truthfulreport of my dismal dealings with Adorama; take from itwhat you like.

Many weeks ago I contacted Adorama to sell them a lens in absolutely like new condition. I received an e-mail reply that if the lense is indeed as described, that they would pay me $300 for it immediately upon examination of the lens.

I sent them the lens and noted that it arrived and was received by them. They confirmed the arrival of the lens via an email they sent me. After a week had passed I e-mailed to ask if they had examined the lens and if so if they had sent me the check. A replying e-mail told me that they were in the process of evaluating the lens and will let me know shortly.

A few days passed and no reply. I e-mailed them that if the lens is not as described, ie, like new, to please send it back as they had promised they would if they did not find it to meet the description. The next day I receivd a call [an actual phone call !] and I was told by the gentleman that the lens was indeed perfect and "its market value was $300 and they were willing to give 70% of the market value. I told him to send me back my lens. He immediately upped the payment to 80% of $300[]. I told him, no thanks, and to send me back my lens. He then said that he will let the used dept. know that they will either send me $300 or send the lens back. They next day I received an e-mail confirming that they had mailed me a check for $300 as originally promised.

I waited about 10 days. No check. I called and spoke with a lady who told me the check was not mailed but that it would be mailed in another 2-3 days. I waited another week or eight days. No check.[]

I had had it by now. I e-mailed them to either return my lens or send me the check or I was going to contact BBB, Internet Fraud and my attorney. I received TWO e-mails immediately telling me how sorry they were for the delay and that the check was actually sent to me weeks ago and that since I had not received it they were going to cancel the check and send me another right away[^o)].

Another week, no check.[8o|] That is where I am now. I have e-mailed them again today , asking them to send me the lens or the check. I have a feeling that I will have no recourse but to let my attorney know and see what he suggests. I will also contact the Internet Fraud and BBB.

I know one thing though. I will NEVER buy or sell anything from Adorama again.

Calling on:

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen <span class="goog-spellcheck-word"]Oster
    <span class="goog-spellcheck-word"]Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Fouad

This is a truthfulreport of my dismal dealings with Adorama; take from itwhat you like.

Many weeks ago I contacted Adorama to sell them a lens in absolutely like new condition. I received an e-mail reply that if the lense is indeed as described, that they would pay me $300 for it immediately upon examination of the lens.

I sent them the lens and noted that it arrived and was received by them. They confirmed the arrival of the lens via an email they sent me. After a week had passed I e-mailed to ask if they had examined the lens and if so if they had sent me the check. A replying e-mail told me that they were in the process of evaluating the lens and will let me know shortly.

A few days passed and no reply. I e-mailed them that if the lens is not as described, ie, like new, to please send it back as they had promised they would if they did not find it to meet the description. The next day I receivd a call [an actual phone call !] and I was told by the gentleman that the lens was indeed perfect and "its market value was $300 and they were willing to give 70% of the market value. I told him to send me back my lens. He immediately upped the payment to 80% of $300[img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]. I told him, no thanks, and to send me back my lens. He then said that he will let the used dept. know that they will either send me $300 or send the lens back. They next day I received an e-mail confirming that they had mailed me a check for $300 as originally promised.

I waited about 10 days. No check. I called and spoke with a lady who told me the check was not mailed but that it would be mailed in another 2-3 days. I waited another week or eight days. No check.[img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

I had had it by now. I e-mailed them to either return my lens or send me the check or I was going to contact BBB, Internet Fraud and my attorney. I received TWO e-mails immediately telling me how sorry they were for the delay and that the check was actually sent to me weeks ago and that since I had not received it they were going to cancel the check and send me another right away[img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img].

Another week, no check.[img]/emoticons/emotion-39.gif[/img] That is where I am now. I have e-mailed them again today , asking them to send me the lens or the check. I have a feeling that I will have no recourse but to let my attorney know and see what he suggests. I will also contact the Internet Fraud and BBB.

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

It sounds like you had terrible luck. The very first item I ordered from Adorama was back ordered and took about a month to finally arrive. I was a little upset, but I kept buying from them because they had such good prices and so many refurbished items. My experiences since that first orderhave been pretty perfect. I have probably recommended Adorama to 20 photographer friends and we all rave about the good communication...

Get in contact with Helen. She'll beat someone mercilessly in the used department and get you fixed up.

As per your suggestion, I have e-mailed Ms. H. Oster and await her response.

I will let you good people know the resolution of this needless headache.

Thanks.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Calling on:

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Helen <span class="goog-spellcheck-word"]Oster
    <span class="goog-spellcheck-word"]Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana;"]What say you?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Chuck, you wouldn't happen to be a Lord of the Rings fan, would you? You sound a lot like Aragorn addressing the dead men of Dunharrow.

Quote Originally Posted by photosurfer

Okay, so I have previously posted that i have a tamron 200-500 for sale, but now i am thinking about selling it to adorama. My question may sound paranoid, but how trustworthy are they? If i ship my lens to them for a quote (insured shipping of course ) how can I be sure they'll ship it back if i don't like what they're offering? And how can I be sure that I'll recieve the money if i accept their offer?

The important thing to remember is that you will be offered 70% of the expected retail sale value - unless it is a particulary special item, or you are trading up, in which case you can usually negotiate up to 80%.

Any problems, you have me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

You'll have no issues.

I have ordered new equipment, used equipment, refurbished equipment and prints from them. If used equipment doesn't check out before shipping, you get a phone call describing the problem and refunding your money. If a print looks suspect, somone will drop me a note and confirm colorsor lighting.

They just do an excellent job...and they have a customer representative that posts on the forum if you need to discuss a problem.

Thank you for the feedback - very much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

Get in contact with Helen. She'll beat someone mercilessly in the used department and get you fixed up.

You can bet your life I will!

<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 9pt;"]Sincerely<o></o>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 9pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen <span class="goog-spellcheck-word"]Oster
    <span class="goog-spellcheck-word"]Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o></o>

<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 9pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname><span style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 9pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 9pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adorama.com<o></o>

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fouad

A few days passed and no reply. I e-mailed them that if the lens is not as described, ie, like new, to please send it back as they had promised they would if they did not find it to meet the description. The next day I receivd a call [an actual phone call !] and I was told by the gentleman that the lens was indeed perfect and "its market value was $300 and they were willing to give 70% of the market value. I told him to send me back my lens. He immediately upped the payment to 80% of $300[img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]. I told him, no thanks, and to send me back my lens. He then said that he will let the used dept. know that they will either send me $300 or send the lens back. They next day I received an e-mail confirming that they had mailed me a check for $300 as originally promised.

I waited about 10 days. No check. I called and spoke with a lady who told me the check was not mailed but that it would be mailed in another 2-3 days. I waited another week or eight days. No check.[img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

I had had it by now. I e-mailed them to either return my lens or send me the check or I was going to contact BBB, Internet Fraud and my attorney. I received TWO e-mails immediately telling me how sorry they were for the delay and that the check was actually sent to me weeks ago and that since I had not received it they were going to cancel the check and send me another right away[img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img].

Another week, no check.[img]/emoticons/emotion-39.gif[/img] That is where I am now. I have e-mailed them again today , asking them to send me the lens or the check. I have a feeling that I will have no recourse but to let my attorney know and see what he suggests. I will also contact the Internet Fraud and BBB.

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]I agree with you, Fouad.It sounds like absolutelydreadful service.

<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]From the description of your experience, our responses to youhave beeninappropriate and unhelpful, and there can be little doubt that your criticism is well-deserved.In your position, I think I'd also be reluctant to consider ordering from Adorama in the future.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]I haven't yet heard from you; I will need your order number - please contact me directly: <st1ersonname w:st="on"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname> - and I will give this matter my immediate attention.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]Sincerely
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]Helen Oster

<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname><span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000080; font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-language: HE;"]www.adorama.com<o></o>

Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com