Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7D Real!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 7D Real!

Are we going to see the demise of the 40D and 50D? I'll have to keep an eye on the 50D price and snap one up if it falls a few 100 euros.

Would be a shame if they did!

IMO, they fit nicely inbetween the xxx(x)D models and the xD models. MAYBE a 60D will be round the corner thats all hush hush and got lost in translation of the 7D? :P

Well I don't really care for most of the new features, but weather sealing?!!? errr I'm so mad! it's a shame that not all SLRs are weather sealed - they all should be if you ask me, but it's even more shame that the XXD bodies aren't! [8o|]

cian, I don't think that's going to happen, there's still a $600 difference between the 50D and the new 7D - that's $600 which you could buy a 70-200 f/4 L with for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by cian3307

Are we going to see the demise of the 40D and 50D? I'll have to keep an eye on the 50D price and snap one up if it falls a few 100 euros.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The 7D is a great camera in terms of what we can do now with technology. It's something that makes people say "wow". I respect the technology that Canon has put into the camera.

But practically speaking though, the 7D is pretty much like a 50D made faster and added video. On paper the 7D is in every way a little bit better than the 50D in order to become a Nikon D300s killer; however, I doubt if any of these improvements over the 50D can actually make a photo look a lot nicer. In other words, I can hardly imagine that the 7D is going to make a huge leap forward from the 50D on some of the key performance measures such as AF speed &amp; accuracy, IQ, frame rate...

Would people think about the 7D like this though? - "Wow nice! Great job Canon! But I think I can do 95% of the things with my 50D." Or, it's like this - "Wow, great technology! But what if i can find a good 1D III used for just a few hundred dollars more? Or I can get a great condition 1D IIN right away, could I be more satisfied with these 1-series toys?"

Back to your question, I think the 40D and 50D will remain to be popular since they are not far away from the 7D and they're sold at very reasonable prices. (PS: I think at $1699 the 7D is a lot more of a deal than the D300s at $100 higher!) If I'm the buyer with a budget, I'll get the 50D instead and save the money for some better optics. My 50D combined with all my big L lenses will for sure outrun a 7D with that 15-85 []

Just my thoughts, + &amp; - comments all welcome.

Well put Benjamin, you pretty much said everything that I thought of [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

I can hardly imagine that the 7D is going to make a huge leap forward from the 50D on some of the key performance measures such as AF speed &amp; accuracy, IQ, frame rate...

Would people think about the 7D like this though? - "Wow nice! Great job Canon! But I think I can do 95% of the things with my 50D." Or, it's like this - "Wow, great technology! But what if i can find a good 1D III used for just a few hundred dollars more? Or I can get a great condition 1D IIN right away, could I be more satisfied with these 1-series toys?"

I agree. When you see these specs and start to drool, it isn't a bad idea to stop and think, "how much better will this make my pictures?" For me, I think the answer depends more on autofocus speed and accuracy than anything else. Will it be closer to the 50D or to the 1D? If the latter, the 1DIV will have to be something special to demand a large premium over this camera. 18mp at 8fps is pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

I agree. When you see these specs and start to drool, it isn't a bad idea to stop and think, "how much better will this make my pictures?" For me, I think the answer depends more on autofocus speed and accuracy than anything else. Will it be closer to the 50D or to the 1D? If the latter, the 1DIV will have to be something special to demand a large premium over this camera. 18mp at 8fps is pretty fast.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The 1D series is already something special: durability, customizability, dual card slots, and (according to DB) analog amplifiers in place of some of the digital amplifiers in other models. For its time, the 1D3 and 1Ds3 were some extreme products, and I suspect Canon will deliver. In August/September 2007, the 1D3 was computing 100mp/sec and the 40D was computing 65mp/sec. If that margin holds, we're looking at ~220mp/sec for the 1D4/1Ds4 products (18mp @ 12fps and 36mp @ 6 fps???).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    The 1D series is already something special

I agree, peety3 (I own one, after all). I just meant that selling the 7D for $2000 might mean the bar will be raised.

7D, looks interesting. Read some of the specs. Like 8fps and 1.6 for sports (dual processors), 18mp is better than my 30D. Is IQ better than my 5D? Don't need the video. Like the 3'' display and super imposed grid etc. Think I will get a 1Ds MKII. Still think the 7D may be great. Will the new focus system be accurate (1D MKIII)?

JeffersonPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jeffersonposter

Is IQ better than my 5D?Think I will get a 1Ds MKII.

I too would like to see an IQ comparison between the 7D and 5D. I do prefer the perspective I get from a FF. My next upgrade will most likely be a 5DmkII maybe in a year.

I have seen several IQ comparisons 5D -vs- 1Ds mkII. Most show the IQ to be pretty close with the 1Ds being slightly sharper. Shootsmarter.com did a DSLR shootout several years ago with 8 cameras. It was controlled headshot, all cameras using the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. The images were printed on 16x20 for the judges to compare. The comparison was mostly focused at color, skin tone and contrast. The 5D came in first and the 1DmkII came in second. The 1DsmkII was close to last place even being beat out by the 30D. I downloaded the full file images and I agree the 1DsmkII is sharper but the 5D has better overall IQ based on this test.

I have recently searched Shootsmarter.com for this article in their archives and can no longer find it.

Mark
    Mark