Thread: Is Canon 1D Mk IIn a worthwhile upgrade from the Mk II?

Is Canon 1D Mk IIn a worthwhile upgrade from the Mk II?

In another thread, the debate of the value of older 1-series vs. newer cameras was being hashed out. In comparing prices of used 1-series, the Mk II seems a decent value compared to the Mk IIn which always seems to be selling for just under Mk III money (circa $2200). What is the consensus? Is the Mk IIn worth the $900 price difference?

Re: Is Canon 1D Mk IIn a worthwhile upgrade from the Mk II?

According to quite a few folks who posted here - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?p=6849719 about the very same thing you're asking, probably not unless you find a 2n for a really good price.

I just bought a (barely!) used 1d3 for $2800 -- so if you can already afford to drop 2200 for a 1d2, you could probably wait a little longer to get a 1d3.

I just saw a 1D Mk. II go for $920.00 on eBay last week. I was watching it under my items and was so busy with work that I didn't remember to check on it. Otherwise it would be mine. :-(

I REALLY want a 1D Mk. III, but for about three times the money of a clean Mk. II, I'll probably settle with that. I have been debating this in my mind, thinking of a 40D, but the focusing and other attributes of a 1-series body are really attractive, and I think maybe I could save for a 5D Mk. II later for portraiture and landscape shots.

Just what I've gleaned from reading other peoples' comments here and eleswhere leads me to say that the ID Mk.IIn is NOT worth the extra money over the 1D Mk.II. The Mk.III, on the other hand....

It's almost a night and day difference between the 40D and 1D mk3 -- well worth upgrading if you're "serious" about photography.

Patrick,

Are you responding to my comments? I would love a 1D Mk. III, but as I mentioned, for budgetary reasons I'm considering a used 1D Mk. II right now vs. the new 40D. There seems to be only a couple hundred difference even with a rebate, andwithout the rebate,it comes down to less than $100.

If that is the case, then what is your opinion, re:40D @ $800-900 vs a 1D Mk.II for $900-1000?

The 45 AF points would be worth it, but you couldn't go wrong with the 40D -- it's what I primarily shot with until I picked up the 1D3.