Thread: 50D Takes on Indoor Sport

50D Takes on Indoor Sport

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I have finished my one week California trip, three-week China trip and another one week east US trip in the last two months. Now I'm back home and ready to share some camera experiences during my vacations. []

<span style="font-size: medium;"]

<span style="font-size: medium;"]These three photos were shot in a reasonably lighted basketball gym with my 50D and 85/1.8 lens. I use the lens wide open and set my 50D at 6FPS with tracking AF enabled. The hit rate is quite good in my opinion on such a fast moving object. About 60% of my images are sharp on focus! I'm satisfied with this rate considering that I'm using a 85/1.8 wide open and the camera is trying to handle the AF in limited indoor lighting conditions. I only used the centre point for all the sport shots; but I don't think the performance will drop noticeably if I use other points, although I haven't fully tried.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]On the other hand, I found that the AF performance has something to do with the path of the moving object. The hit rate is a little bit higher when the object moves horizontally from one side to another. When the object is moving towards or away from the camera, even at the same speed as the horizontal moves, the camera struggles a bit to cope with the move. But the hit rate is still quite acceptable. (some 40-50%). The Servo AF can also be fooled easily when some other player passes by in front of your object very quickly, this is totally understandable. However, I found that it always took half to one full second to refocus/re-track the subject that I'm intended to shoot. The refocusing speed depends on the distance, speed and moving direction of the subject, but the time spent on re-tracking the move will make you lose opportunities.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]But overall, good job my 50D![]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.70.Forum+Use/IMG_5F00_2646.jpg[/img]

(50D + 85/1.8 @ 85mm, F1.8, 1/800s, ISO640, +2/3EV, Av mode)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.70.Forum+Use/IMG_5F00_2659.jpg[/img]

(50D + 85/1.8 @ 85mm, F1.8, 1/1000s, ISO640, +1/3EV, Av mode)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.70.Forum+Use/IMG_5F00_2701.jpg[/img]

(50D + 85/1.8 @ 85mm, F1.8, 1/800s, ISO640, +1/3EV, Av mode)

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Comments?[8-|]

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Benjamin

Re: 50D Takes on Indoor Sport

did you always use the 85 f/1.8 indoors? Have you tried with the 70-200 f/2.8 or something like that? I mean at f/2.8? I'm asking because i'm interested in the performance of this body in low light situations and indoors, especially for sports, since I might upgrade...

As for the pictures, they're pretty cool... I like them all, nice job

Andy

Why would you get a 50D? 7D is announced and meant for sports!

because it's less expensive.. because i can't get a job nowadays here to get themoney to buy a 7D hehehe... I have a more complete answer on the 3rd page of teh 7D thread if you're itnerested hehe

Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumien

did you always use the 85 f/1.8 indoors? Have you tried with the 70-200 f/2.8 or something like that? I mean at f/2.8? I'm asking because i'm interested in the performance of this body in low light situations and indoors, especially for sports, since I might upgrade...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I personally don't have any sport experience with the 70-200/2.8L lens since I don't own one. But I do have the F4L IS and it's also very good at tracking moves when the light is sufficient. So I can only guess the F2.8L won't do any worse[]

I have not used the 70-200/4L IS for indoor sport yet. Especially for serious indoor actions, the primes are way better choices in this regard (all you need is fast). But for a telezoom that does everything else almost perfect, the 70-200mm f2.8L IS is the one to go!

Quote Originally Posted by hotsecretary

Why would you get a 50D? 7D is announced and meant for sports!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I think the 50D is a good camera overall. Or, at least since my ideal camera has not been introduced yet (i.g. a FF 1D IV), i'll stick to the 50D for all my digital work. And of course, the 50D doesn't break my bank account.[]