Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger System V4 vs. CTR-301P

Re: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger System V4

I love my mouse and I hate my mouse. I love my mouse because it has buttons on both sides in order to do the FORWARD & BACKWARD commands that make browsing so much easier. However, I hate my mouse for the very same reason. Once you've spent a long time filling out a textbox--and then you reach for you mouse and accidentally hit one of the buttons--you navigate away from the page and everything goes away. And that's quite annoying.

So, this is the condensed version of what I wrote. I never used the Cactus V2s hotshoe mounts either as they're poorly designed and executed (I didn't trust weight on them). You don't necessarily need the hotshoe connector if you're using Cactus V2s units and Vivitar 285HVs (as a newly purchased 285HV come with a cable that connects the flash to the V2s receiver). However, using other flashes makes that hoteshoe connector mandatory. The best thing I've found is Item #0128 Female Hotshoe with Miniphone Jack (female) from flashzebra.

I was trying to learn how to weld and do the mods on the CTR-301s at the same time--I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying that. I screwed them up. However, I was trying to squeeze out more functionality out of them--more range and better battery life. Just the fact that I felt the mod was necessary (and having failed trying) pushed me over the edge--I bought Cybersyncs the next week.

Here's my setup for securing the Cybersyncs when they're being used:

(It's a vent caddy from Wal-Mart. I put a grommet in it. I attach the hook (designed to cling to a vent) to a knob on my umbrella swivel.)

Sean,

I forgot you showed this before. Excellent. Now have you looked at the Vivitar "lead acid battery mod" I did mine back in April and still haven't run out of juice. I'd say the use has been moderate. (500 plus on each)I posted photos here, and my mod still allows the transition back to AAs. Most mods say that you need to buy extra battery holders. I figured out an easy way around that. The LA Batteries were $8.00/ea from Battery Mart. The pouches were clearance sale compact camera cases from Wal-Mart. What I want now is a double or triple hot shoe mount so I can gang two or three Vivi's together and block out the sun or at least fire at 1/4-1/2 with full power intensity allowing for 1/2 to 1/8th the recycle time. Here's an offering from Lastolite. Have you seen any others worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Once you've spent a long time filling out a textbox

Dude, can't count the times. Spelling's my nemesis. (had to run spell check on that one)You know "mute" cough, hack.....LOL []

Chuck & Sean,

I have (2) Canon 430EXs. I could probably sell them and buy (4) 285HVs with the proceeds. Would you go that route or just save up and buy two more 430EXs? I'd like to have 4 flashes total so that I can have key, fill, rim and back lighting. In case you were wondering, my OCD will not allow me to have a non-matching set [:$]

Pros for the 430EXs:
    • More powerful
    • Faster recycle time
    • Lighter
    • ETTL capable

Pros for 285HVs:
    • Cheaper (can buy 3 for the price of one 430EXII)
    • Ease of manual control (changing the power on the 430EX sounds easy but it's cumbersome and annoying)

However, using other flashes makes that hoteshoe connector mandatory. The best thing I've found is Item #0128 Female Hotshoe with Miniphone Jack (female) from flashzebra

I can't speak much into this topic as I literally just got my strobe kit yesterday, but for now I'm using Cactus V2s system on a stand with a 430EXII and thislittle guy. The cactus receivers have a pc port in them that allows that pc-to-hotshoe adapter to work like a charm. I just bongo tie my receiver to the light stand and I'm good to go.

Like Mark, I have mild OCD with my lights. I'm craving two Vivitar 285HV's for strobing haha.

Hope I helped some.

-Rodger

I'd stick with the 430's. Manual Power adjust is so much better than Vivitars. Vivitars have full 1/2, 1/4 & 1/16th. Can you say Neutral Density gel? Output is better and recycle time is about half. 430's are way better than Vivitars.

In fact Mark you'd be crazy not to go with the new radio poppers. You'll be able to adjust the output porportions right from the top of the camera. Dang, I need to get me some real Canon flashes. Check, but I'm pretty sure the rad pops will communicate with the 430EX (version 1 correct?) just fine. The reciever sits in from tof the IR input and communicates the settings with the flash. In-fact, I believe that you would have TTL output plus adjustable flash compensation per strobe. Please, someone stop me. I may be wrong but man the stuff you can do with modern electronics! Go for the Radio Poppers. I wouldn't hesitate as long as you get the output adjustable support for your 430EX units. It would be worth every penny and would take the hesitation out of buying e-bay triggers.

Shoot, this conversation would have gone completely different if I had known you had those two Canon strobes. Yet, It has evolved quite nicely......[] OCD can be very beneficial at times. More expensive..... Yes? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee
    I'd stick with the 430's. Manual Power adjust is so much better than Vivitars. Vivitars have full 1/2, 1/4 & 1/16th. Can you say Neutral Density gel? Output is better and recycle time is about half. 430's are way better than Vivitars.

Well, he just noted how cumbersome manual power adjustment is on the 430s. However, it all comes down to "..how much do you want to spend??" The 430EXs are better flashes. And if he purchased a 7D, he'd be crazy to give them up (ETTL control from the pop-up flash). Even without the 7D, being able to manually adjust the flash from a RadioPopper JrX transmitter is a very nice feature to have. For that particular feature to work, you'd need the RadioPopper Cube which hasn't been released yet (and given their track record of release time tables, it might be 8 months before it's released). I've heard someone mention that they'd like to try the Item #0135 Deluxe Canon Hotshoe with Miniphone Jack (Female) from flashzebra to see if it'd work like the yet-to-be released Radiopopper Cube. If the TTL points are live (and not just dummy points), then the flashzebra option might just work.

All of that costs money--and not a small amount. Vivitars with traditional radio triggers work very well. They're relatively cheap, rugged, and it's a breeze to change the settings. I do carry an ND filter for the rare occasions I need 1/8 power.

There is no right answer. I built my setup over time. Vivitars, Cybersyncs, Lumopro supports, flashzebra accessories--they all work extremely well and they're perfectly priced for my needs. If you need to work quickly and hate walking around to adjust your flashes, then you'll likely spend your money on different items. Otherwise, just buy what you think will work. If in time you find out you want something different, write off the cost of your gear to a learning experience and buy what will work better. Sell the things you no longer need. It's more important to buy gear that isn't perfect, yet learn how to light perfectly with it. After you've got that down, then you can justify buying gear that makes the act of lighting more convenient.

Even without the 7D, being able to manually adjust the flash from a RadioPopper JrX transmitter is a very nice feature to have. For that particular feature to work, you'd need the RadioPopper Cube which hasn't been released yet

Hmmm.... that's manual? Otherwise, use E-TTL with flash comp. with PX transmitter/reciever. Right?

Hold the Phone... Ouch!! I didn't look close enough. I thought the JrX would do the job. The PX reciever is $250/ea

In the words of the Church Lady......"Never Mind".........EDIT: (scratch that... I think that was Rosana Rosana Dana ...probably before your time. Unless you were a teenager in the late 70's early 80's)

Mark, Maybe try the CTR-301Ps with the 430Exs first. Sean's got a better point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee
    Hmmm.... that's manual? Otherwise, use E-TTL with flash comp. with PX transmitter/reciever. Right?

Yes, using the RadioPopper JrX transmitter while the Radiopopper JrX receiver is connected to the (as of right now non-existent) Cube, you will be able to manually adjust the power of TTL flashes remotely. It's not ETTL, but it's certainly faster than walking over to each of your flashes and making the adjustment manually. The Radiopopper PX transmitter/receiver simply bridges the gap between TTL flashes using radio waves to transmit the data between the camera and flashes (that's still a major accomplishment, of course, but it's very expensive).

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]Ok...I think I will keep the <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]430EXs[/b] and look to buy two more (hopefully refurbished from Adorama or used).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I also think I will start off with the <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]CTR-301Ps[/b].<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] This will allow me to get started with what I already own (flash-wise) and hopefully by the time I out-grow them (if I do <span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Wingdings; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-hansi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-char-type: symbol; mso-symbol-font-family: Wingdings;"]<span style="mso-char-type: symbol; mso-symbol-font-family: Wingdings;"]J<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]) the <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]RadioPopper RPcube adaptor[/b] will be available and I can invest in a set of <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]RadioPopper JrXs[/b].<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The idea of being able to manually adjustmy Canon Speedlites or a set of Alien Bees Studio Strobes sounds awesome!<span style="color: black;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: Arial;"]The following is from the RadioPopper website:<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: Arial;"]Compatible Devices: <span style="color: black;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: Arial;"]Any strobe capable of firing via a sync port.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] For EZset Studio compatible devices are any current Alien Bees, White Lightning or ZUES brand strobe.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] For EZset Strobe, compatible devices include any TTL / "Dedicated" flash for use with Canon or Nikon Camera bodies.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The EZset Strobe operation requires the RPcube adaptor which will be available for purchase in 6-8 weeks.<span style="color: black;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]Based on this statement I believe that my 430EXs will work.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I will try contact RadioPoppers though and ask specifically.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: red; font-family: Arial;"]&ldquo;For EZset Strobe, compatible devices include any TTL / "Dedicated" flash for use with Canon or Nikon Camera bodies&rdquo;<span style="color: black;"]<o></o>[/b]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]Again, I can&rsquo;t thank you guys enough for all of your wisdom and helpful suggestions <span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Wingdings; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-hansi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-char-type: symbol; mso-symbol-font-family: Wingdings;"]<span style="mso-char-type: symbol; mso-symbol-font-family: Wingdings;"]J

Mark,

All I ask is that you post a follow up so all of us can see how it works out. This is really good stuff. If I knew back in January, what I know now I would have opted for the CTR-301Ps.

Have fun with it!! [Y]

Chuck