Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbie

Advice for newbie

My wife and I are looking to get into photography as a serious hobby. I have been doing some research on SLRs, and, for about a $2000 budget I found the Canon EOS 7D packaged with the 28-125mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens for $1899.

Would this be a good place to start? We want to take all kinds of photographs and maybe find a niche along the way.

Many of you sound very advanced in your knowledge, so I apologize if I offended anyone with such an elementary post. Any advice on gear for getting started would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Advice for newbie

The 7D sounds like it is going to be a great camera. The 28-135 lens is a okay starter but I'd recommend saving for some new glass in the future.

I think you should look into the 50D also. Then you could buy a better lens like the 24-105 L.

How important is it for your SLR to shoot video (thereare cheaper options if "not very" is the answer)? Otherwise, how important is image quality to you (good lenses are probably a imortant place to invest your money if you want the best image quality)? You also need to letus knowhow you'll be using the camera--"We want to take all kinds of photographs" isquite vague and can generate suggestions that might not beoptimal for your particular situation. Kids, sports, low-light, landscape, wildlife--how are you most likely to use your camera and under what conditions? Will weather sealing be a necessary feature?

Don't get me wrong, I think the 7D will be a solid camera when it comes out--however, just starting out, I'm just wondering if you need the features that justify spending most of your budget on it.

Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera Body Kit, Black - Refurbished $999.95

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS - $1,030.00

Sure the 50D may not have the sex appeal that the new 7D does but it's still a very competant body capable of producing terrfic images. Like Keith said, you may want to consider spending some money on better glass which is what I am proposing with the "kit" I listed above. If you haven't already, see what Bryan has to say about the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.

Welcome to the forum, Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by cmac76

My wife and I are looking to get into photography as a serious hobby. I have been doing some research on SLRs, and, for about a $2000 budget I found the Canon EOS 7D packaged with the 28-125mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens for $1899.

Would this be a good place to start? We want to take all kinds of photographs and maybe find a niche along the way.

I think that lens is far too limiting:
    1. no fast f-number (very little control over DOF, no shooting in low light)
    2. no wide angle (landscapes, architecture, indoors, environmental portraits, everything else).
    3. no super telephoto (just "regular" telephoto)
    4. no very high quality
    5. no flash
    6. no tripod

Instead, here is what I would suggest:
    • $720 T1i body (excellent 15 MP sensor)
    • $130 18-55 IS kit lens (buy it in a kit with camera)
    • $250 55-250 IS
    • $400 50mm f/1.4
    • $270 430 EX flash
    • $300 medium-quality tripod

That should be around $2,000, but will give you far more flexibility and options for photography:
    • Wide angle (18mm on kit lens)
    • Super telephoto (250mm vs 135mm)
    • Fast f-number (f/1.4 on the 50mm for good control over DOF and available light photography)
    • Very high quality (50mm f/1.4 stopped down to f/2.8 is almost as good as it gets.)
    • Higher quality over the entire range: the 18-55 and 55-250 beat the 28-135 at all overlapping ranges.
    • Flash and tripod photography opens up an entire world of possibilities

If you can't stand the small size of the T1i body (personally, it bothers me), I suggest going with the 50D and dropping one of the other accessories.

When you're learning, especially, it is often more beneficial to spend more on the accessories than the body itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cmac76

I recommend that people figure out their lens (and flash) needs, and back into their camera selection after those are chosen. A friend wanted to capture his teenage daughter's theater and volleyball, so he went with the 85/1.8 prime and no flash (neither are 'acceptable' at school events). He ended up with a 40D and the 17-85 lens as a kit, plus the 85/1.8, for under his $1500 budget and he's absolutely thrilled with the results.

If you're looking to shoot 'all kinds of photographs', I'd suggest incorporating a wider lens into your plans, whether it's the EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, EF-S 17-55, EF-S 17-85, EF-S 18-55, or perhaps one of the newly-announced lenses (15-85 or 18-135). I'd also plan on a 50/1.8 lens to gain the creative outlet that it offers. I'd decide on a flash based on your needs, at least the 430EX II if not the 580EX II (which is more powerful, more flexible, and capable of taking an external battery pack which I happen to LOVE). In the end, you may find that a 50D is a better starter camera that will serve you for years.

I know it's a tough concept to grasp now, but plan to keep your first camera until (at least) you buy your third camera. You never know what will happen with either of your first two cameras, as many of us can attest. As a result, don't fret about buying any EF-S lenses; you'll need them for a while.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I agree with Sean and Mark - if this is your first SLR (I said SLR not DSLR) then you really don't need anything above the 50D unless you need special things like weather sealing or anything else. So, if you don't need anything special, get a 50D and *good glass*.

Few things to note:

1. You WILL want more glass in the future so you might want to take this into account before spending your whole budget.

2. I disagree with Mark on the refurb - add $90 and you get a brand new 50D

3. Before buying anything bigger than a rebel (e.g 7D, 50D...) make sure your wife test it too by holding it and playing with it - some women might find the 50D to be a too big and heavy camera.

Daniel and peety, I think you might be wrong. It seems that the nice guy is just getting into photography and I don't see how buying a bunch of lenses, flashes and tripods is a good suggestion.

I have no idea what's his or his wife's knowledge about photography but I've already seen people who want to get into this world without even knowing what "zoom lens" or "focal length" mean (let alone what are these "odd" f-numbers [:P]).

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Daniel and peety, I think you might be wrong. It seems that the nice guy is just getting into photography and I don't see how buying a bunch of lenses, flashes and tripods is a good suggestion.

I have no idea what's his or his wife's knowledge about photography but I've already seen people who want to get into this world without even knowing what "zoom lens" or "focal length" mean (let alone what are these "odd" f-numbers [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]).
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Gotta agree with that, would like to know more before I'd make a reccomendation. Saying that, seeing the thread title "Advice for NEWBIE" (emphasis added)...

I see many people get into photography as a "serious hobby", splash out of loads of equipment, only to come back asking, whats this for? What does that mean? How do I do this?
    Then they realise they have wasted a good amount of money.

I personally can't see the point ina wannabe "hobbiest" (no offence) spending that much on a camera when really they could get a 500D which takes brilliant shots, and maybe a nice lens to go with it. - Maybe I'm being to harsh :P
    To me, now I don't know your personal situation, but buy a cheaper kit, then go somewhere nice with your wife and use the camera :P (maybe that isnt an issue for you, just speculating!)

Forgive meif I have come across blunt and harsh [8-)]

Don't become an "Uncle Bob" at a wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

I have no idea what's his or his wife's knowledge about photography but I've already seen people who want to get into this world without even knowing what "zoom lens" or "focal length" mean (let alone what are these "odd" f-numbers [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]).
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

A bunch of lenses? I recommended adding a wider lens and a cheap fast prime. It's three lenses total. I also recommended thinking about the lens choice first, so the 'newbie' can ask some more pointed questions of us that'll help shape their purchase. Although I recommended thinking about an external flash, I also gave an example of someone who skipped right past flashes altogether and is extremely happy; it comes down to what you're shooting. I do hope you consider an external flash to be better than onboard flash...
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.