Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Other 5D MKII Owners Feel A Bit Cheated?

Any Other 5D MKII Owners Feel A Bit Cheated?

Anybody else feel a bit cheated that Canon didn't include the new AF and other features (dual processors etc) that are in the 7D, into the 5D MKII?

I don't know if they were too anxious to get the 5D MK II to the market or what, but personally, I wish they would have waited if they needed to in order to include the 7D's AF system, dual processors, artificial horizon etc, etc into the 5D MKII.

I think the 5D MKII would have been an absolute killer camera if they had done so, and addressed some of the criticisms in reviews of the 5D MKII.

I guess it's too much to hope for that a future firmware upgrade could at least include some of the features which do not need hardware modifications (like the new AF sensor).

Color me a bit miffed....... :-(

Re: Any Other 5D MKII Owners Feel A Bit Cheated?

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, and agree that it'd have been an absolute killer camera had they done that, but it'd also have killed sales of the 1DIII / 1DsIII. Personally I suspect it was more of a marketing strategy than a technological decision.

Now you have the 7D for sports, birds & other fast subjects; the 5DII for image quality and low-light conditions (despite the outer AF points being rubbish in poor light) and the 1DsIII (or IV when it comes) for those who want both.

The trouble is that Canon seem to be so keen on preventing their own models from competing with each other by holding some models back to make clear distinctions between them and the 1D that they risk losing ground to Nikon. I already know of some people who are switching across, although I don't plan on it as not only would switching cost me a lot but also I'm not convinced by Nikon's over-priced top end glass and I hate the way everthing is backwards on their kit, even screw threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, and agree that it'd have been an absolute killer camera had they done that, but it'd also have killed sales of the 1DIII / 1DsIII. Personally I suspect it was more of a marketing strategy than a technological decision.

Now you have the 7D for sports, birds & other fast subjects; the 5DII for image quality and low-light conditions (despite the outer AF points being rubbish in poor light) and the 1DsIII (or IV when it comes) for those who want both.

The trouble is that Canon seem to be so keen on preventing their own models from competing with each other by holding some models back to make clear distinctions between them and the 1D that they risk losing ground to Nikon. I already know of some people who are switching across, although I don't plan on it as not only would switching cost me a lot but also I'm not convinced by Nikon's over-priced top end glass and I hate the way everthing is backwards on their kit, even screw threads.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know though if it would have killed the market for the 1D - doesn't that camera have a LOT more AF points than even the 7D has?

When I was originally making my decision of either the 5D MKII or the Nikon D700, what ended up swaying me is the Canon lens selection, especially the L series lenses.

I've been extremely happy with my 5D MK II, and frankly, the features which the 7D has are not something I would use regularly since I don't shoot action at all, and 99.9% of the time I only have the center AF point turned on. Still, the 7D having better AF capability overall (for that 0.1% of the time I might need it) is something that gets under my skin..... :-(

No not really, FF Vs 1.6 Crop. 5DMK2 is a great cam. now IF the 7D was a FF then i am sure Canon would have had people rioting. 7D looks like a great Sports and Wildlife solution.

Sometimes I get a little peeved at the 5DmkII's limited focusing abilities. I hardly ever use the center point so I have had more than a few shots missed. I'm inclined to keep the ST-E2 on all the time for it's focus assist beam.

Lately I have been using my 580EXII with the Ray Flash as a fill and the arm blocks the focus assist beam. Arrrrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

I agree with that. It seems that Canon uses af to differentiate their most expensive full frame camera from the others, Nikon uses resolution. Given a choice, I think I would have chosen the af (and I would have been willing to pay a lot more for the same camera with a 1D-like af). On the other hand, just because I would have been willing to pay substantially more for a 5DII with a better af does not mean it would have been a good strategy for Canon. I suppose they've investigated the matter more deeply than we have.

Canon was waiting for some patents to clear. They may have had the technology ready for the 5D but not the patents. That is the story I have heard.

I've honestly got $5k to drop on a camera + new lens right now.. and I'm so tempted to grab a 5DII + 24-70 right now.. but part of me is holding off until at least the end of Sept to see if they do have any big announcements.

I could wait until Spring/Summer if I had to.. for a 5D III?? I would love a 7D but it's 1.6 and I want FF.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsecretary

I've honestly got $5k to drop on a camera + new lens right now.. and I'm so tempted to grab a 5DII + 24-70 right now.. but part of me is holding off until at least the end of Sept to see if they do have any big announcements.

I could wait until Spring/Summer if I had to.. for a 5D III?? I would love a 7D but it's 1.6 and I want FF.

I wish they would have made the 24-70 the kit lens.

I'm sure you were joking but I don't think there will be a 5DIII for quite some time.

Part of me is joking, part of me is hoping

Just like wishing for a 24-70 Hybrid IS 2L [:O]