Thread: Monitors: Is TN really that bad?

Monitors: Is TN really that bad?

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new monitor to replace my 12-year-old, 17" CRT. I have done a good amount of research, and I know that I really should get a PVA or IPS screen for accurate color reproduction, but I really just don't have the budget. My question is, will I be that disappointed if I get a TN screen?

I'm not a professional by any means, and I don't print at home (well, nothing important anyway -- just snapshots). What I do with my good shots is prepare them at home in DPP and PS Elements, and upload them to the lab to be printed -- they do no image processing on their side. I have gotten my CRT to a point where when I'm done editing the files, I know my prints will turn out well, even if the colors aren't a perfect match. I would be happy enough with that level of performance from an LCD.

So, would it just be a waste of money to buy a TN screen? Would I be that disappointed in it?

Thanks!

Re: Monitors: Is TN really that bad?

Dell's 2209WA gets pretty good reviews, and is an IPS monitor. $289 (and if you look around you might be able to find discount codes):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-7825&cs=04&c=us&l=en

TN panels are HORRIBLE at Colour reproduction .. they're the non-name panels of the LCD world

You get what you pay for! I paid $700 for my LCD a few years ago and it's great! I could of paid $300 at the time for the same size, but I wanted something decent and paid for it.

I don't know if I'd pay the $1500+ for the Eizo But I hear great things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsecretary

TN panels are HORRIBLE at Colour reproduction .. they're the non-name panels of the LCD world

You get what you pay for! I paid $700 for my LCD a few years ago and it's great! I could of paid $300 at the time for the same size, but I wanted something decent and paid for it.

I don't know if I'd pay the $1500+ for the Eizo But I hear great things about them.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

i would "second" that comment,...TN technology is how companies can keep their prices low.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was kind of hoping I'd hear something different, but sometimes reality is rough! Even the $290 for the Dell is more than I can get away with right now -- the Acer I was looking at is about $170 on special, and gets great reviews from the gaming crowd (I know, completely different!). So I'll make due for a while. This 17-incher is getting annoying, though... [:^)]