I have yet to pull the trigger on my new lens.

Can someone please tell me the main difference between IS and non IS, besides the price. I have gotten mixed answers in regard to spending the extra $ on IS. Many people have told me that it really is not needed, especially for the kinds of photos Im taking.

Im just so confused. The pictures I take are mostly family shots and sports shots of my kids. They are both in high school and are involved in football, swimming, baseball, cheer, and competitive cheer. Lots of indoor low light shots as well as some night time outside shooting.

Im looking to buy a good zoom lens such as the 70-200 f/2.8, but this is where I dont know if it is worth spending the extra money on IS. I currently have the XSi body, kit lens, and my 50mm lens from my old film canon camera.

I'm thinking that if I dont get the IS then I could get another lens like the 100mm f/2.0 or is the IS worth the money and it is something that I should have.

I have attached a couple of photos that I took the other night. As you can see I have access to the field and as long as the play is near a sideline I can get a pretty good shot. But when they are out in the middle of the field or Im behind the end zone then it is tough to get a good shot with just the 50mm lens.

Please be kind about the photos as I am still learning how to use the camera. This is a huge step up for me from the point and shoot camera.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.00/East-vs-Clio.JPG[/img]

The above was a play near me on the sideline. It was taken with my XSi and the canon 100mm f/1.4 lens. I adjusted the size so I could include it here as the original was quite large.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.00/East-Field-goal-attempt.JPG[/img]

Taken with the same 50mm lens but with no zoom it is hard to get a great shot.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.00/East-on-the-march-_2D00_-from-behind-the-end-zone.JPG[/img]

Another shot with the 50mm from behind the end zone.

Would having an IS lens been of great benefit for me on these. I know I need a good telephoto like the 70-200mm but should I spend the extra bucks for IS?

Please help!!!!