Thread: better use of $1600?

better use of $1600?

So i've been bored at work, which is dangerous, because I've spent a lot of time researching a lot of camera gear that I don't need but want...

Anyway, I was thinking of upgrading to the 7d when it comes out. I've currently got the XSi, but the added features of the 7d seem pretty compelling.

But then I started thinking about spending the money on a new lens. Specifically, the 100-400mm IS L lens. I try to shoot a lot of nature and wildlife whenever I get the chance, and I want more reach than my current 70-300.

So... if you were going to buy one of these items with my current setup, which would you get?

And if you want to talk me out of getting either, that'd probably be the best option...

Re: better use of $1600?

I have the 450D/XSi and the frame rate can be limiting for wildlife but I still think you will get more improvement from the 100-400L than from the body. I upgraded to a 40D as the current runout price is just incredible and it made a big difference for me but not as much as buying L glass did

Why not just get both??

:P

Seriously though, I know it's pretty easy to get excited about the 7D's whizbang but I think the lens would be a better investment. If you're really just looking for some more framerate then maybe go get a used 40D or something down the road, but the 100-400 will mop the sidewalk with your 70-300 (imho). The 7D isn't out yet, will be hard to get a hold of, and despite all the press hype we don't know if it has a broken AF system or leaky gaskets or or or or or.... and don't forget that it's not only a new line but it's got a lot of new unproven tech in it, so maybe either wait a bit for the reviews or for the 7DII in a couple years :P

100-400

Alan

Better use of $1600?

How about giving it to me?? []

Go with the lens. I agree with all the others about it giving you better results than upgrading the body. The big issue for me is that the prices of lenses keep going up. If you don't buy the lens now who knows what it will cost a year from now. I paid $1500 (w/$200 rebate) for my 70-200 2.8 IS in May and now it is $2000 and $1350 for the 100-400 and now it is $1680.

Bodies always go down.

lens!

bodys are easily upgraded, lens are for life! (pretty much :P )