Thread: Just got the 70-200mm f2.8 non-IS - SO happy!

Just got the 70-200mm f2.8 non-IS - SO happy!

I just wanted to share my enthusiasm with you guys!
    I'm just blowed by the greatness -yeah, greatness!- of this lens.

It's heavy, but I'm sure I can handle it. It takes very good pictures -I just took a couple of shots of my mom in our dining room (which is not really well lit) and they were great-.
    Mom said I could have gone all the way and gotten the IS version, for the money I spent. (I ended up paying full price for it, even though I bought it in the US and shipped it here -yeah, it would have saved me like $300) but that's no big deal, after trying it)

So, yeah...I just love it, can't wait until I'll go out tomorrow after school

I know it's a great lens, but what do you guys think? Should I have gotten the IS version? I thought it wasn't worth the while, because I don't really to a lot of portraits or indoor shooting, except for indoor sports -for which the F2.8 is great, I guess-. That's why I didn't think of going for the IS. What do you think?

thanks for reading, anyway =)

Re: Just got the 70-200mm f2.8 non-IS - SO happy!

I have the non-IS version and I love my lens. you did well you'll love it too.

Wow, had the opportunity to get the IS version and turned it down?? My opinion is to always go with the IS since you never know when your going to need it, but that's just me. I had the non-IS 70-200 f4 and traded it in for the IS version after about a year and I can tell you that the IS has saved many a shot for me.

I think all copies in the 70-200 series are excellent and I'm sure your going to get some really nice shots with that lens. I do a lot of indoor shooting so I've been thinking of upgrading to the 2.8 IS version but I also plan on upgrading to the 5Dmk2 in the next couple of months so I don't know if that will be entirely necessary.

At this point, it sounds like a moot point for you anyway if it would be a big hassle to ship the lens back and get the IS version (to pay yet another shipping fee) I would just use your lens until you reach a point that you find yourself encountering a lot of shooting situations where you need the IS.

Happy shooting!

Since you mentioned shooting indoor sports, you could benefit from IS especially in the "second mode" for panning while remaining focused on a subject that's moving horizontally. Also, the weight of this (great) lens makes it tough to hold steady which may cause motion blur when zoomed-in and slow shutter speed. So while zoomed in, without IS you'll get sharp-looking shots with a shutter speed of 1/320 or faster (using a 1.6 x focal length formula)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill M.
    Wow, had the opportunity to get the IS version and turned it down??

No I didn't really have that opportunity, it was out of m budget. Actually I had to stretch it a little bit to get the F2.8 over the F4. My mom just said that I could have gone all the way -but the money would still have been mine =)-