Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usable ISO for 50D

Usable ISO for 50D

I'm considering buying a 50D to be used with an 85 1.8, 24-70L and 135L. I shoot church events and ballet under (dim)theaterlights. If I shoot at 1600 or even 3200 ISO, can the 50D produce good 8x10 pictures.

Re: Usable ISO for 50D

You're not going to get anything like 5DMKII performance at high ISOs, but 1600 is definitely usable. I've used it for concerts and the occasional wedding and (assuming you have some noise reduction software) the images are totally usable. Not as sure about 3200 though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st-Insp
    If I shoot at 1600 or even 3200 ISO, can the 50D produce good 8x10 pictures.

It depends on many factors:
    • Color temperature of the lights. (Daylight balanced, medium-quality fluorescents, high-end tungstens, low-end tungstens, etc.)
    • Raw conversion, post processing, noise reduction, etc. (A good conversion with 1 stop underexposure looks better than a bad conversion.)
    • Personal taste about noise and post processing.
    • Subject, background, composition, etc. Bright subjects with bright clothes and bright backgrounds may look better than high contrast or moody scenes.

Generally, ISO 1600 on the 50D looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st-Insp

I'm considering buying a 50D to be used with an 85 1.8, 24-70L and 135L. I shoot church events and ballet under (dim)theaterlights. If I shoot at 1600 or even 3200 ISO, can the 50D produce good 8x10 pictures.

For the same price you could buy a used or refurbished 5D and get very usable 3200, unless it's the crop factor your're after. Oh, not to mention all the other new and niftybells and whistles that come on the 50D.

I have a 40D as well as 5D and I do not like going higher than 1600. From what I understand the 50D at 3200 isn't any better.

As others have mentioned, ISO 1600 is very usable on the 50D. It all depends on the specific conditions as to whether 3200 is usable for your intentions. Below are two shots of our cat, so you canjudge for yourself how the 50Dperformed in this low lighting situation. I used the Canon 18-200 IS lens, FYI.

<div class="detailText" id="detailCaption"]Canon EOS 50D - 1/25 sec at f / 5.6 - ISO 1600 - 90 mm</div>

<div class="detailText" id="detailCaption"]Canon EOS 50D - 1/50 sec at f / 5.6 - ISO 3200 - 110 mm</div>

Results may vary in different situations, of course, but I'm very happy with the 50D for all types of photography.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingblues
    Below are two shots of our cat, so you canjudge for yourself how the 50Dperformed in this low lighting situation

FWIW, those samples are good for evaluating noise in a 4x6 or wallet-size print, but the OP is talking about 8x10. You could resize to 8x10 @ 150 ppi and then post a 100% crop to see what it would look like at 8x10.

Here's another 50D/ISO 3200 picture:

If you don't see the image or want to see a larger version:

http://picasaweb.google.com/orenz16/StudentDay2009TAU#slideshow/5346380270242127378

As to how will it turn out at 8x10... I have no idea but if you wanna print it I can send you the original size picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Below are two shots of our cat, so you canjudge for yourself how the 50Dperformed in this low lighting situation

FWIW, those samples are good for evaluating noise in a 4x6 or wallet-size print, but the OP is talking about 8x10. You could resize to 8x10 @ 150 ppi and then post a 100% crop to see what it would look like at 8x10.

I'm at work right now and don't have access to the software or original image files to resize anything. I simply saw someone asking a question about 50D performance and offered a couple of samples to help out. I believe samples go alot farther to help someone than all the cheers and boos people offer up to support their own purchase decisions. Sometimes people don't have samples handy or don't want to take the time to put some together... which is fine. I just happened to have them on my own website and thought I would help.

I have no intention of posting new images at a different size because I don't sell cameras and am not trying to make or break a point here. My evenings are spent with my family, not working on photos for other people. If the OP finds these helpful in some way, I think they have served their purpose. If not, that's fine too.

Ken

I have no intention of posting new images at a different size because I don't sell cameras and am not trying to make or break a point here. My evenings are spent with my family, not working on photos for other people. If the OP finds these helpful in some way, I think they have served their purpose. If not, that's fine too.

Ken

Wow.

Wow! Who sh*t in your oatmeal?