Thread: New Flash.

New Flash.

I am intrested in buying my first flash and was wondering if the 580EX 2 is that much more worth it than the 430EX? Either way I will be buying it used off of adorama.I have not done any flash photography yet and will definitley be excited to start trying my hand at the portrait side of photography. Mostly taking pics of wife and family at family gatherings. Thank you for any imput.

Re: New Flash.

If your serious about flash photography, yes. The 430ex has it's
    purpose, and is a solid investment, but I only ever used it in Flash
    Obvious situations.

Conversely, I look for opportunities to use the 580exii because it's so flexible and feature rich.

Re: New Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by GSPhoto

I am intrested in buying my first flash and was wondering if the 580EX 2 is that much more worth it than the 430EX? Either way I will be buying it used off of adorama.I have not done any flash photography yet and will definitley be excited to start trying my hand at the portrait side of photography. Mostly taking pics of wife and family at family gatherings. Thank you for any imput.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

You might want to consider buying a cheaper manual flash, a lightstand, an umbrella swivel, an umbrella, and a wireless trigger &amp; receiver for roughlythe same amount of money. Take a look at myposts on strobism (it's a multi-part post, but thefirst two threads have been completed). If you're wanting to become serious about portrait photography, it's a great place to start.