Thread: Anyone recognize this blurring problem with my Canon EF 35mm 1.4L lens?

Anyone recognize this blurring problem with my Canon EF 35mm 1.4L lens?

Hi,

I recently bought a Canon 35mm 1.4L lens to use with my Canon 5DII.

I bought the lens second hand on eBay from a guy that could show some pretty good pictures with it. But when I got it the lens turned out pretty bad wide open, some strange problem.

I was hoping someone here might recognize the problem and give me a hint on what to do.

Test picture a repair shop took at f1.4. They said it wasn't a problem of back focus, they didn't know what else it could be.
    <span>http://www.inaball.com/35mm/bos35_14L.JPG

A 100% crop of a picture I took, see the difference between f8 and f1.4.
    <span>http://www.inaball.com/35mm/canon35mmblur.jpg

It gives a sideways blur wide open, which makes it useless to me..

Any hint is very welcome!

Adriaan

Re: Anyone recognize this blurring problem with my Canon EF 35mm 1.4L lens?

Those certainly aren't pleasing results...

Quote Originally Posted by adriaanb

It gives a sideways blur wide open, which makes it useless to me..

Any hint is very welcome!

Sorry to see your having trouble. Something seems amiss in the optics. I'd call Canon and ask them to look at it. The price to send itin for inspection/repairmay outwiegh the price to honestly pass it along to someone else. Remember to leave a comment on the e-bay seller's feedback page. Don't rant, just report that the lens delivered was defective and not within L class specs. Give the seller a low grade. People should be more honest about flaws in the products they sell, especially L class lenses. Hopefully, he'll wise up from the negative feedback and be more honest in his future dealings. Chalk it up to life experience. Buyer beware.

According to slrgear.com, photozone.de, and Bryanthis lens looks really good wide open.

I hope that you can for a resonable penalty, get the lens fixed and get much enjoyment out of it.

I think the guy that sold it to me only ever used it at f8, and there it is normal. I can try to get the money back through Paypal and I am doing that.

But I am just wondering if this would be worth repairing, could be that people have seen it before.

I will try to use micro adjustments on the Canon 5d m2, see if that solves anything.

Hi!

I read about the same problem at a flickr group dedicated to the 35L: http://www.flickr.com/groups/27449914@N00/discuss/72157617400119414/

Your lens show exactly the same blur. You shoulddefinitely contact the seller and arrange a return. You buy fast glass to use it wide open and your lens is faulty. Good luck!

Anders

I had the same problem. After four years shooting with my 35 1.4 (much of which it was my only lens) I had zero problems. It was a love sublime. Then one day I notice the blur wide open. It's kind of nice to know I'm not alone.

Well, I sent it in to canon and they fixed it up for a tad over $100, and it's in perfect condition again. It's probably a known issue with a known fix. Maybe one of the elements likes to slip around.

Good luck, don't give up on getting a good copy by return or repair. Maybe you could ask the seller to pay for half the repair? Seems like a nice win-win.