Thread: is it true ???

is it true ???

hello all

i own one canon 40D and i was planning to buy the 100-400mm IS lens but one friend of mine told me that it might not work well together.he said that this type of lens (big ones) works at it's full potential on higher quality bodies like 1D or similar ones.

can anyone tell me if this is true? can the small battery from my 40 D be to weak to "spin " this big lense?

thank you very much

Re: is it true ???

Your friend is talking rubbish!

I have used a 70-200mm IS f2.8 on a 350D once, and was fine.

The only problem you have with canon lenses is trying to fit an EF-S lens on a full frame body.

You will have no issues using the EF100-400mm lens on the 40D. The 1D bodies have better weather sealing and more robust shutters, but they don't inherently work better with the "L" series lenses. You will have some differences in effective focal length because the 40D sensor is not full frame like you would find on the 1DsMKIII or the 5D MKII, but you may find this to your advantage as it makes the lens appear even longer.

There is a discussion about crop factor in another active thread on this board if you want to know more about sensor size and focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian mandea
    i own one canon 40D and i was planning to buy the 100-400mm IS lens but one friend of mine told me that it might not work well together.

Your friend is wrong. They work very well together.

he said that this type of lens (big ones) works at it's full potential on higher quality bodies like 1D or similar ones.

He's wrong on this one too. The size of the lens (big vs small) doesn't enter into it.

can the small battery from my 40 D be to weak to "spin " this big lense?

No.

By the way, there is a certain relationship between contrast/resolution of images produces by EF lenses and sensor size, but it sounds like your friend isn't aware of it at all, so we wont go there.

I've owned the Canon 40D and the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS lens for more than two years and have taken over 30,000 photos with the combination. Most of the photos are of sporting events.

Your friend needs to get out of the advice business because he doesn't know what he is talking about. I handhold the camera/lens combination as well as use it on a Manfrotto monopod. I have no issues spinning into portrait or landscape quickly as is usually done with sports photography. It is well balanced and the 1.6x FOVCF gets me out to 640mm. I think it is a great combination.

It took this picture from across the football field with the monopod.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.91/football.jpg[/img]

The lens works great on the 40D. It is one of my favorites for telephoto work. It is a little heavy for everyday use, but it is capable of taking great photos.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/3802224061_077b623235_b.jpg

I am not claiming this is a great photo, but I am very happy with the lens.

Tom

thank you all, i was hoping he was wrong.can't wait to buy it and use it

thank you again

adrian

Your friend is wrong and was probably jealous. [] Have fun with that combination, it's a good one.