Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing @ Portraits

Re: Playing @ Portraits

Excellent Alan,

Your taking the necessary steps toward good composition. That's a great way of analyzing those shots.

Suggestion: Now try both of them using the same rules in portrait, rather than landscape.

As far as dodging and burning, take your time and experiment. Theselook tough to adjust IMHO. (I'm sure there are some PS gurus that could teach me a few things)

In the first shot, In Portrait, her mouth or sholder could possible follow the secondary line.

In the second shot, I'd try to get rid of the building in the background by cropping so that the 2/3 line is at her hose or mouth.

cheers for the feedback ChuckLee!

Your Welcome. BTW...that was "nose" not "hose".....LOL []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.84/Ruleofthirds2.jpg[/img]

There you go chuck,

Thanks for the guidance. i am not sure about following this rule 100% of the time but i think on the whole it makes all the shots look much better.

Al

That last set of 4 are outstanding (now [] )

I really like the BW shot and think using the golden spiral on it wouldlook great... if you have time, give it a go and re-post.

Al,

As they say rules are made to be broken. The rule of thirds works most of the time but don't be afraid to break the rules if the shot will look better cropped a different way. The great thing about photography is there is no 100% right or wrong.Everyones going to have a different opinion on a shot, just keep shooting.

Fred~

Quote Originally Posted by Alan KE
    i am not sure about following this rule 100% of the time but i think on the whole it makes all the shots look much better

You're right. Every once in a while you'll want to break the rules. It's knowing when and how to give drama and effect to a photo.

What you've submitted here is very nice. I'm sure you're seeing the difference between these and the first ones you submitted.

I really like the lighting in #2, though she could be a bit more centered.

I realy like the composition of #3. The tension that's created between the tree and her leaning slightly away from it looks great. I would bring her just a tad higher in the crop with her left eye just above the line. I'd warm up the white balance on this one one just a tad. On my monitor it looks colder than the other three. In both #2 and #3 her eyes are a bit dark and this is where just a flicker of fill flash or relflected lightwould have iced the cake so to speak. Look at here eye's in #4. Even though her face is slightly darker than the surrounding elements there are no "brow shadows" and you can see into here eyes. She feels close and freindly whereas she feels more distant in #2 and 3.

IMHO, When shooting protraiture, the eyes are the most important part of the human face.

Good Job Alan, your getting there. Always remember you are your best critic.

thanks Chuck et al for the feedback and guidance it has been invaluable. i am going to keep practicing my composition and will post again when i have some new shots. I am a Brit living in Sweden right now and we are quickly heading into the colder weather with interesting lighting.

i think i am going to see what i can find on the web around creating emotions from photo composition as i find that very interesting and also look into color casts and adjustments.

new purchase wise i think i will save up for a flash.