Thread: *Decision* looking to spend money for Sports/Portrait Camera or Lens

*Decision* looking to spend money for Sports/Portrait Camera or Lens

Currently I've got Canon 5D Mk II and 70-200mm f2.8 IS + 70-200mm f4 IS. Thinking to buy a 2nd camera for sport shootings or a EF 200mm f2 lens, which I can only buy one (camera or lens).

As I know 1D Mk3 at moment selling in good price, but should I wait Mk 4 release or just get 7D? Does 1D Mk 3 worth to buy? since price drop a lot ~

Or maybe I can just use my 5D Mk 2 for sports andget EF200mm f2 lens (high quality image action shots)?

EF300mm f2.8?

40% of time shooting actions (sports, ZOO animals or events)

Any suggestion?

Re: *Decision* looking to spend money for Sports/Portrait Camera or Lens

Personally, I find 200mm to be too short for sports, zoo animals, and events. If you can make do with 200mm, then the f/2 IS might be a good consideration with your 5D2. If you want more reach and you don't mind a little weight, the 300mm f/2.8 would be a fantastic choice.

But the pixel density on the 7D would give you the equivalent of 112-320mm from your 70-200mm, not to mention the frame rate and autofocus, so that's a very tempting option if you stick with your existing lenses. It wont be able to match the image quality of 5D2+300mm f/2.8 at high ISO, though.

I don't think waiting for the next 1D is a good choice, IMHO. I like to just focus on the here and now.

Two limitations of the 5D Mk II for sports when compared to the 7D or 1D Mk III are 1) Frame Rate: 3.9 fps vs 8 & 10 fps respectively; and 2) AF points: 15 (9 selectable points, 1 cross type) vs. 19 (all selectable, all cross) and 45 (19 selectable and cross) respectively. Having recently purchased the 1D Mark III (had been waiting on the 1D Mark IV, but decided to just go for the III since it would be sometime before the IV would be available and easy to get my hands on) I can tell you that the frame rate and AF are just awesome, and going back to anything less is noticeable. I'd recommend a new body for the photos that you want to take.

As far as glass - focal length and maximum aperture are dependent upon what you're planning to shoot. f/2 is great for indoor action sports and the DOF would be great for the Zoo. You may find 200mm to wide for some outdoor sports (e.g. football, baseball) except in certain situations and the f2 aperture is probably not necessary for stop action speeds in daylight.

The prices of the 1d MIII has indeed gone down significantly from a year ago. I purchased mine 2 months ago for $3,000 and am extremely pleased with it. The box had a yellow dot and it has none of the AF issues that people have written about. I have used it to shoot indoor badminton, Muay Thai tournaments, the FIA GO Kart Championships etc. It's great to have the flexibility of a 10 fps camera and have the 5D MII as well. There are days when I only want to go out with 1 camera and I end up taking the 1D MIII.

Vince, if most of what your looking to do is outdoors, you may consider the 7D and the 100-400L. You would certainly have the frame rate your looking for and the 100-400L is a very versatile lens, although it may be a little slow for indoor sports. This lens can also yield some very nice portraits. Compared to the price of a 300 f2.8L, you could get this package and have enough leftover to buy the 200 f2.8L and a couple of fast CF cards---

My 2cw

Bob
    Bob

Thanks for all the information, and after all I bought 1D Mark III + 300mm f2.8 !!

Just received 1D MK III for three days, everything super ! and still waiting lens to coming in........ Have a look the shot I got yesterday with 1D MK III + 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM lens. (look closerly for water drops...) I am very happy with 1D MK III together with 5D MK II [H]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.00/8K3W0604.JPG[/img]

I envy your decision-making process. Can't decide on a world-class body or a world-class lens? Just buy them both!

I am sure you will be very happy with your choices. They are both superlative products.