Thread: Flower picture

Flower picture

Took this in Hawaii (big island) last year:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.07/flower.JPG[/img]

Details:

Camera: EOS XTi

Lens: EF 70-200mm f/4 L @ 200mm

Exposure: AV 1/250 f/4 ISO200

Hand held, no flash. Taken in RAW, converted in DPP.

I probably should have stopped down a little to get the center in focus, but without a tripod or IS that would have been difficult.

Re: Flower picture

I agree you should've have stop down a bit. You could stop down to f/8 and increase the ISO to 400, if you don't like high ISO, you could still keep it at f/8 and ISO 200 and shoot in a burst and pick out the sharpest one. Nice shot with good colors though.[]

That's a beautiful flower.

I agree with Sinh - more DOF would have helped a lot. I'd like to see the center of the flower in focus. If you could have found a stick or other shooting aid, you might have been able to keep the camera still enough to drop the shutter speed a little more. And I would rather have some higher ISO noise than the shallow DOF in this shot.

Another idea for you would be to clean up some of the debris in the shot - either before capture or in post processing. There is not much, so it wouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the comments!

I agree, and I'm not really sure what I was trying to do with these settings, maybe I was trying to get a more blurred background (which obviously didn't work)? Or it could be that I was lazy and in a hurry[](this was taken during a hike, and I was already lagging behind).

Thanks for the suggestion of the debris, Inoticed it when I was reviewing the images on the computer, butdidn'tthink of actually removing it . I have to work on that.