Thread: Need gear on budget. . .

Need gear on budget. . .

Actually technically i don't have a budget, but i do have a b-day approaching and the family wants to get me something photography oriented, but they've laid down a max value of roughly 350 or below. . . with that in mind i'm trying to decide between a few things. Right now my setup is an XSi with a tamron 17-50 and a 580 EX II. I shoot a lot of things, but I am getting more into portrait photography as well as outdoor low light events (marching bands especially). I'm split between a portrait grip, a better lighting setup, just getting an OC-E3 type cord or PW to get my flash off camera, or a better lens- most likely the 85mm 1.8. . .suggestions?

Re: Need gear on budget. . .

You are talking about two different things:

Portrait

I'd suggest an umbrella, umbrella stand for your 580 EX II

then I'd order the basic radio popper jr set (one transmitter and one reciever)

all thisshould total less than 350

OR

Low light

I'd get the canon 50mm f1.4 lens. approx 350.

yeah i wasn't sure if the 85mm might pull double duty as a lowlight and portrait lens or the flash for lowlight. . . thanks for the input

You could get an umbrella, stand, another flash if needed for about $150. I just did that with the Vivtar 285HV and accessories from Adorama. Then you could get some ebay triggers or something like that to get your flash off camera. They run around $45 to $50. Check out one of Sean Setter's threads like the "what is my flash connected to" thread. He gives some great suggestions there. Then for low light, get the 50 1.8 II ($90). Check out Bryan's review. It is good for low light and sharp. You can bump the saturation and contrast to help make up for it's shortcomings. That would keep it under the $300 budget and get you some pretty good stuff.

If you get the 85mm, it is a really good lens. However, you need to make sure you have a bunch of room if you are shooting inside with a 1.6 crop body. Things get a little tight. I mostly use mine outdoors to chase the kids around.

My two cents.

Jayson

Get the lens, my friend. 85 f/1.8 is a good choice []

Buy the gear to make your [off-camera] flash results look better. You can't go wrong doing that. ;-)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_8014-copy-small.jpg[/img]

Of course, I did have my rimlight strobe a bit too powerful--it caused a major blown highlight on the mother's hair. However, I still really liked how it came out.

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285, camera left, 1/2 power, 1/2 CTO gelled, shot through a white umbrella. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera right (behind subjects & high--visible in picture), 1/2 power, 1/2 CTO & Yellow gelled, bare. Both flashes triggered via Cybersyncs.

Man, i need some wireless triggers...nice shot there Sean!