Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Anyone Got the 7D?

Re: Anyone Got the 7D?

Quote Originally Posted by nrdavis
    If I shoot 10MP Medium RAW images with my EOS 7D, is the camera only recording what hits (roughly) every other pixel,or is the camera taking an 18MP image and then using its computing power to downsize that image to a 10MP file?

The latter. On previous cameras they did the full, normal demosaic process (using all pixels), then downsampled to the lower resolution (still using all pixels). I would guess they are doing the same on the 7D.

Quote Originally Posted by nrdavis
    I am curious if I would see improved OR worsened noise performance at say (10MP RAW and ISO3200) than at (18MP RAW and ISO3200 downsized to 10MP in photoshop post-processing). Or if the noise would be the same, it would save me a lot of time (and hard drive space in post-processing)

With downsampling, the noise can never be better, but with the ideal downsampling filter, the noise will be the same. Many slightly imperfect filters, like all the ones Canon had before, increase the noise slightly. It also causes an increase in aliasing.

However, downsampling isn't the only option. It would be possible for Canon to use on-sensor binning (connecting multiple pixels together electronically), and that would theoretically reduce read noise (shadow noise). However, it may require additional transistors on the pixel, and they would have to solve some other difficult problems such as aliasing (much worse than aliasing from downsampling).

Most people find sRAW to be perfectly acceptable, I think you will too.

I just got my 7D !!!! it's replacing my 40D but before i get rid of it i will shoot a few pics with both cameras to compare pictures for those who are wondering.... will try posting tonight...

I just got my 7D and maybe now I'm disappointed in my 5DmkII.

The build quality is soooo much better. I noticed right out of the box. The battery door, the CF card door are spring loaded. The 5D feels very fragile. I was a little concerned about all the extra buttons going on but I get use to it. I probably won't be disappointed that the 5D doesn't have them. I like the idea of the 5D being simple I just wish the build quality was similar. I haven't played around enough to see how accurate the AF is but I can tell it is the fastest I've seen (I have no 1D experience).