Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plan ahead

Plan ahead

I was looking for some open suggestions on what I should save up for. I am looking for the biggest upgrade for the price. as of now I was thinking a new flash of maybe a 7d.

Currently I have:

Xsi with grip

24-105

18-55

75-300 III

Speed light 220EX

I know I should specify what I shoot most but I was really hoping for some broad suggestions, Because I shoot everything.

Thanks Matt

Re: Plan ahead

You have some nice lens there atm! the flash is a very budget one, so if you want to save up thengo for the 7D with a 580EXII flash unit.

The onyl question really is what your budget is?

I suggest an ultrawide, like the Canon 10-22. Or maybe something with a fast aperture, such as the 50mm f/1.4. You may also consider a macro, like the EF-S 60mm f/2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    I suggest an ultrawide, like the Canon 10-22.

This is an excellent suggestion. In fact, the 10-22 / 24-105 combo will make your kit lens unnecessary. :-)

Tony

I'd sell the 220 flash, the kit lens and the 75-300. But what to buy instead?

10-22 sounds good to me too but well... we really need to know your budget.

there is no budget its more like the next best step sort of thing. I would say my next buy needs to be under 1500$ unless its a body.

When you get your $1500, sell the 75-300 and 18-55, hopefully you'll get $150 for those two. Then use all the money to get the 10-22 and 70-200 f/4L IS.

I know some of you guys here are probably annoyed by my "always invest in glass" attitude, but trust me guys,in the long run it's worth it. I only have two bodies, the old old old Rebel/XT and my trusted 40D, but I have a lens line up that will last me many bodies to come. []

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    Then use all the money to get the 10-22 and 70-200 f/4L IS.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest too!!!

Tony

When you get your $1500, sell the 75-300 and 18-55, hopefully you'll get $150 for those two. Then use all the money to get the 10-22 and 70-200 f/4L IS.

I know some of you guys here are probably annoyed by my "always invest in glass" attitude, but trust me guys,in the long run it's worth it. I only have two bodies, the old old old Rebel/XT and my trusted 40D, but I have a lens line up that will last me many bodies to come. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

[Y]

...but I have a lens line up that will last me many bodies to come

The only problem is that if you truly "always invest in glass", then you will never have any "bodies to come", because Canon will keep coming out with new glass, so anytime you start to consider a new body (e.g. Canon 90D in 2012), you'll spend that on glass instead. [] I'm just teasing you. [] I generally agree with your advice. Most new photographers gravitate toward buying bodies over glass far more than they should, I think; so it's good to emphasize glass. The question is: for a certain amount of money, what will have the most impact on the photos I take? Sometimes it's a body, but many times it's a lens.