It's my birthday today.

The lens arrived just a few hours earlier, so I haven't had the time to do some real shots. It's my first true 1:1 macro lens, so I'm still getting used to the macro working distance. I thought I'd give some of my initial impressions before posting some sample shots.

The box includes a lens hood, the lens, and a pouch. There is no tripod ring included.

The lens is a good balance of weight on the 5D Mark II. It feels a bit like the EF 24-105/4L IS in terms of weight. For better or for worse, overall build quality feels similar as well, maybe not quite as "rugged-feeling." The exterior is definitely predominantly plastic.

The focus ring is smooth and turns nearly a full 180 degrees. As expected, the gearing is such that most of the ring is reserved for focusing from the MFD of 30cm @ 1:1, to around 48cm @ 1:3, and the distance scale reflects this.

The focus limiter has three settings. From left to right, they are "Full," "0.5m - infinity," and "0.3 - 0.5m". AF speed is not blazing fast regardless of the limiter setting, but it is a macro lens after all. It simply takes time to physically move the internal components the required distance. What helps, though, is if you turn the ring manually to get in the ballpark, then let AF do the rest. FTM focus is a feature of this lens. Focusing is entirely internal--neither the front nor rear elements move.

Weather sealing is completed by using a front filter. A rubber gasket helps seal the rear.

The diaphragm has 9 slightly curved blades.

Hybrid image stabilization is reasonably quiet and performs okay, but I need to do more testing before I make a final verdict. The lens makes a soft clunking noise when gently shaken.

The rear of the lens does not have the additional contacts for the Canon EF Extenders. As I do not yet own any such extenders I cannot determine whether this lens is compatible. However, it appears that the rear of the lens is designed such that it is physically possible to fit the extender to the lens.

Overall, my initial impression of the EF 100/2.8L macro IS is that it is nicely designed, but that Canon certainly chose to make light weight a priority. It is not a lens I would want to drop or knock around, L build notwithstanding. As I have yet to put it through its paces in terms of optical quality, there's not much more I can say at this point. I hope to have more commentary soon.

Oh, there is one more thing. The date code on my copy is UX08, which means it was manufactured in August 2009. Can't see why Canon couldn't have shipped it to me back then, instead of making me wait