Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Photography

Re: Night Photography

Thanks, Matt. You are right about opening the aperature; not checking and rechecking my settings is a failing I need to concentrate on more. I agree with getting glass with a faster aperature.

Thanks for your suggestions.

John

sigh...aperture. I can spell. I can.

Next time try Manual control, you dont' have too worry about exposure as much. As long as your shooting the same subject you will have the same exposure, it makes it a lot easier to post-processe the pictures with the exposure consistant.

As long as your notreallyshooting them, you know bang, bang!!! LOL LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by John Hinton

sigh...aperture. I can spell. I can.

i believe you []

Alan

What constitutes a "proper" exposure when taking night shots? The histogram? Eye-balling it? I saw one guy describe the method as follows: keep lengthening the shutter speed til it "looks right" in the viewfinder.

When shooting in daylight, I can look at the histogram, and know if I'm over/under exposing. But, with these type of shots (especially with ones with less light in the scene), I often take multiple shots, then choose the one that looks closely to the way I remember it. And, that's usually after I look at the images post processing.

Night photography is a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    What constitutes a "proper" exposure when taking night shots?

Same as daylight photography. The proper exposure is the one that gives you the results you want. [] Now, if you ask us which exposure will give us the results you want, then you have to first tell us what you want. []

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Night photography is a challenge.

Agreed!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] Now, if you ask us which exposure will give us the results you want, then you have to first tell us what you want. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Okay, here goes. Which one do I want? (Don't say "none of them," because you'd be right. This is for illustrative purposes only!) []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34.1/under.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34.1/middle.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34.1/over.jpg[/img]

Straight out of Adobe Camera Raw, to a jpg, with the standard settings in ACR.

I don't like any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hinton
    sigh...aperture. I can spell. I can

John,

"Aperature" is by far my most miss-spelled word on the forums.

I was at a fair recently........Sept 29th.....I too likethe lights: This is my third year shooting this fair...

Here's one that blows my mind....look at the settings: The candy striped post on the far left is a ride called Extreme. You can see legs hanging from the suspended benches. It was moving pretty fast.

Canon EOS 5D, wt EF <span class="nowrap"]50 f1.4, <span class="nowrap"]f/2.8, <span class="nowrap"]1/250, <span class="nowrap"]ISO 400, <span class="nowrap"]No FlashShows what fast prime glass can do.

I've got an obsession with shooting concession stands:

Canon EOS 5D, wt EF <span class="nowrap"]50 f1.4, <span class="nowrap"]f/2.8 @ <span class="nowrap"]50 mm, <span class="nowrap"]1/200, <span class="nowrap"]ISO 800, <span class="nowrap"]No Flash

Canon EOS 5D, wt EF <span class="nowrap"]50 f1.4, <span class="nowrap"]f/2.8 @ <span class="nowrap"]50 mm, <span class="nowrap"]1/320, <span class="nowrap"]ISO 800, <span class="nowrap"]No Flash

Wow Chuck those are great. Almost looks like HDR. I agree - fast primes are brilliant.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30