Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Landscape Shot -

Re: Landscape Shot -

looks like low and high tide to me. the "silver thing" is the water that is left. take a look at the jetty and other landmarks in the photo and look at the water level between shots.. is this river affected by tides?

that'll teach me to check my notes - first thing I wrote that morning was "Tide extremely low"

yes, there's a big difference between high and low tides at that point of the river - though the water covers the entire area, not just the silvery "S" curve part.

ps - first low tide was at 5:23AM that day and it was 1". ONE inch! High tide came at 11:24 and it was 5'7". So yes, there's a remarkable difference between the two.

Though of course none of this explains how the ducks appear to be standing on the water...

:-) well the tides might explain how they can be "standing on water" if there are rocks etc that become exposed when the tide is out. suggest (if you are very interested) looking at a larger crop of the image..

oh believe me I've checked the 100% (and up) views. Unfortunately the shutter speeds I needed in such low light produced motion blur on the ducks and most of the shots are unusable.

As the morning went on and the shutter speeds came down, the "S" curve disappeared (as the tide came in I guess) but most of the ducks moved off. There are still a few however who look like they're still standing on top of the water.

It must be the shallowness of the river there, that's all, and the low tide.

Anyway, would you care to comment on the shot(s)?

In any case, thanks for your input.