Thread: Benro tripod

Benro tripod

Hi,

I've just purchased a Canon EF 500 F4 and now I have to buy a tripod for it.

I'd like to know if somebody has exeperience with Benro tripod, because I'm intrested in the C-357 model.

The alternative is Gitzo GT3530LS but it'more expansive.

Thanks.

Re: Benro tripod

I don't have personal experience, but DON'T! Especially no with such a big, heavy and expensive lens!

i'd check out induro tripods

Scott Bourne at photofocus.com seems to like them. I was going to grab one (before his post) but I snatched up a used manfotto at the local thrift store.

scott bourne's review

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yf8s4jd

induro tripods site

http://www.indurogear.com/products_Tripods.html

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

I don't have personal experience, but DON'T! Especially no with such a big, heavy and expensive lens!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

With all due respect, if you don't own a Benro tripod, how does that make you qualified to comment on their dependability?

Cause I've read a very bad review on one of their ballheads. The review told me everyhing I needed to know regarding their products' quality - very poor.

You wanna put your 500 f4 L on it? ...be my guest, I wouldn't put mine (had I had a 500 f4 L [])

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Cause I've read a very bad review on one of their ballheads. The review told me everyhing I needed to know regarding their products' quality - very poor.

You wanna put your 500 f4 L on it? ...be my guest, I wouldn't put mine (had I had a 500 f4 L [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img])
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

So, you read someone else's review of a product you've never owned, and you see fit to condemn their entire product line including items that aren't even ballheads? And you don't even mention this in your first response as the reason why you're criticizing the brand, nor do you provide a link to the source of your information? That's unreasonable. How about the fact that every product from every manufacturer contains some positive defect rate? How about the fact that if you cared to look, you could find a negative review of any brand's products?

It's not like anyone really should use a ballhead for an EF 500/4L IS anyway. If you have the money for the lens, you have the money for a Wimberley gimbal head. All the more so if you saved a bit on a set of legs.

Personally, I don't have an opinion on Gitzo vs. other brands. I do own a Benro carbon fiber Travel Angel, and although it's hardly perfect, I can personally speak of the durability of this particular model. But that's all I'm going to say about it. What I dislike is the tendency for people to parrot others' claims or reviews about gear that they have never used themselves--one Ken Rockwell in this world is more than enough. Furthermore, to then justify the repetition of second-hand information by saying "Well, do you want to rely on it? Be my guest" is even more distasteful and borders on condescending.

The level of accurate and reliable information about photography equipment could be significantly increased if people simply stopped repeating what they read elsewhere and instead spoke of things they have personally experienced. Otherwise you get phenomena like "conventional wisdom" that turns out to be misleading or outright wrong. And in the end that comes back to bite us, as certain manufacturers may take advantage of brand loyalties to increase their profit margins, and the undervaluing of competitors increases the likelihood of vendor lock-in.

To the OP: Try the tripods before you choose which one to buy. That's the only way you're ever going to be satisfied you made the right choice. People rarely make their decision based on the obvious criteria of durability, weight, size, build quality, because at this price point, all of these things can be satisfied. It comes down to details, much of which are subtle, but explains the significant price differences. It's a bit like L glass. You can pay 4x more for that extra bit of quality, but that doesn't necessarily mean the non-L stuff is crap, either.

And finally, consider aluminum if price is that much a concern. Carbon fiber is sexy and very light, but the cost is exorbitant.

Speaking as one who doesn't know a whole lot about tri-pods, i use a Benro A-300EX, on their site they recommend using something around a 70-200 f/2.8 lens or smaller with it. I have used a Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS with it and had no problems. I personally like this tri-pod and have had no problems, I realize this wont work for a 500mm f/4 but maybe it will speak to the quality of the brand some. In the end read reviews. then make your decision, hope i helped some []

I've choose an italian gimball head (I'm italian of course...)

The name of the head is Photoseiki and it's very very well made.

http://www.photoseiki.com/

About the tripod I'm only curious... sometimes when you buy

a famous product like Gitzo you have to pay also the name.

The price difference between Gitzo and Benro is not too

high.

After have been payed 6,000 Euros for the lens I don't think

that 200/300 Euro can make the difference. :-)))

I've choose an italian gimball head (I'm italian of course...)

The name of the head is Photoseiki and it's very very well made.

http://www.photoseiki.com/

About the tripod I'm only curious... sometimes when you buy

a famous product like Gitzo you have to pay also the name.

The price difference between Gitzo and Benro is not too

high.

After have been payed 6,000 Euros for the lens I don't think

that 200/300 Euro can make the difference. :-)))