Thread: Adobe Lightroom 3 beta

Adobe Lightroom 3 beta

Thought I'd share the good news.

Here is a link from Adobe to download the beta. I'm pretty excited to try it out when I get some free time.

Adobe LR3 beta HERE

-Rodger

Re: Adobe Lightroom 3 beta

thank you so much for the link It's too bad existing catalogs don't work ):

Things that are new:

color treatment has been renamed color | black & white (used to say grayscale)

new import dialogue

new add film grain

local adjustment brushes:
    • whiten teath, iris enhance, and dodge & burn presets added
    • adding multiple effects is easier
    • color effects

clone brush added

publish services added (flickr)

syncing between a laptop and a workstation is being worked on

<span style="color: #ff0000;"]<span style="color: #000000;"]Useful watermarking

create a movie of a slideshow

print overhaul

<span style="color: #ff0000;"]<span style="color: #000000;"]filters
    are now lockable. When you change from one collection to another you
    can lock the filter so it will apply wherever you go.

videos of changes here

Thanks. I'm very happy to see the film grain feature added. This will save another round trip to Photoshop for adding grain. (A little grain makes images look sharper and more appealing.)

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison
    It's too bad existing catalogs don't work ):

I know! Out of curiosity, and totally changing the subject, but how do you use the catalogs? Or rather, how often do you (anyone can chime in) create a new catalog? Do you create new catalogs topically (senior pictures, sports, daily pictures) or time frame based (catalog per year? per month? etc).

I've shot about 8 seniors' senior pictures this year and I'm wondering if I should have a separate catalog for senior pictures.

Sorry for the abrupt subject twist.

Thanks!

-Rodger

My main library is just the pictures that I'm proud of. I save catalogs for events I get paid to do for a year then purge them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    how often do you (anyone can chime in) create a new catalog?

When there gets to be so many pictures that the performance gets too slow. I'm over 50,000 now and still going strong, but I figure I'll probably need to create a new catalog when I hit 200,000 or so. (Except LR3 is supposed to have "new performance architecture" for "growing image libraries", so I probably wont even need a new catalog then.)

Other than performance, I see absolutely no benefit in creating separate catalogs. I do see lots of downsides; however, such as not being able to find any image at any time, or being able to do analysis over a wide range of images (e.g. to find out what percentage of portraits where shot at 135mm), etc.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Maybe a catalog per year or so. That would go well with my organization scheme. Thanks all.

Another question: This one for the techies.. (I figured I'd ask here rather than a new thread)

Playing around in LR3 beta, I realized that my there is no lag time using my Wacom bamboo pen tablet. In LR2, I can't use the sliders because the lag time is horrible and it always pushes the slider farther than desired. My LR2 catalog has at tops 1,000 files in it, so I'm ruling out catalog size causing the lag. Is that a new perk in LR3? Or is my computer at fault? Thanks for any help.

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Thanks. I'm very happy to see the film grain feature added. This will save another round trip to Photoshop for adding grain. (A little grain makes images look sharper and more appealing.)
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I have taken some film pictures and the grainy look can sometimes have a great affect.