Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro Lens

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro Lens

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who owns and/or uses this lens on a regular basis. I have been looking for a medium focal length zoom and that lens sounds like it has potential (as does the tamron) but Bryan's review really does not sound positive at all. I would be interested to hear any of your comments on this lens (and any other medium length lens).

Samuel

Re: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro Lens

Get the Canon one. I'm sure anyone who can spend $800 on a Sigma can pay $1150 for the Canon. It is totally worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for the opinion, but I really am interested in what the Sigma (and somewhat Tamron) owners think of their lenses. I would like to hear from you all. The biggest reason I want to hear from them is my brother's Sigma 150mm Macro is a great lens and it seems that Sigma should be able to make good lenses else where.

I'm interested in the opinion of those who have used it before as well. Here, in Thailand, Canon's f/2.8 non IS version costs about $1275 US (with 2 years warranty) while the Sigma costs around $750 US (and comes with 5 years warranty).

Thanks in advance.. [8-|]
    Soe ( Portraits )

Well I guess no one owns this lens or at least no one cares. I was really hoping to get the opinion of others.

This may not help or answer your question, but try www.pixel-peeper.com and search on the camera lens and the body to compare.

I was in the market for the Canon version, and I have been swayed to the Sigma 70-200 by the retailers, but decided with the Canon.

The only concern is that the Sigma does not have the OS and I'm a little concerned about the quality control, but you can get that with any company including Canon.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Thanks for the comment. I tried out the site and did not really understand it. I have heard a lot of bad news about the Sigma and the Canon does not seem to have anyone really getting mad at the Canon. I have heard of some random bad Canon lenses, but generally they seem to have a really good set of lenses that are not let out till they have a good product.

LOL....you should try searching the forums relating to softness on the infamous Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM lens. For the money being spent, there are plenty of high expectations including myself.

Canon does have some QC issues probably not as much as Sigma, but when you consider the price differences, once can't really complain! But alas, 700 or 2400, money is hard earned and QC should be top notch regardless.

Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

All I know about the Sigma is what's in Bryan's review, which isn't favorable. I have a friend who bought the Tamron and returned it because the autofocus was unacceptably slow. I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I've used the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS and it was fantastic.

I was using that Sigma, friend has it...

I dont like it

It has focus problem, it underfocus. bad bad thing...

Try to avoid that lens with Canon, I heard many times about this problem with Sigma on Canon