Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you carry in you camera bag?

Re: what do you carry in you camera bag?

Think Tank skin pouches and skin belt.

1D MkII

70-200 2.8 (non IS)

17-40 4

50 1.8

540EZ or Vivitar 385 depending on mood

monopod if sports shoot

2 spare batteries for 1D II, spare batteries or diy pack for flash

4 4GB SanDisk Ultra II CF cards, 3 2GB Ultra II SD cards - Think Tank Pixel Rocket jr

microfibre towell

diy omnibounce

300 f4 L for football, soccer, surfing when not renting 400 2.8 from CPS if desired.

pen, water bottle, snack, kneepads, business cards.

spare body from studio if desired.

My everyday bag...

<span id="btAsinTitle"]Lowepro Fastpack 250:
    - Canon 5D MkII w/ battery grip
    -Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
    -Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    -Canon Speedlite 270EX Flash
    - Apple MacBook Pro and 500gb LaCie Little Disk
    - Various Chargers and Cables

LOL...

Canon Xsi 450D

Canon Battery Grip E5 &amp; Charger

Canon 50mm 1.8

Canon 24-105mm 4L

Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM

Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 EX

Canon Speedlite 430 EX II

Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod

Sandisk 4GB SDHC &amp; Trascend 16GB SDHC + mini USBSDHC reader

Lens Pen, microfibre and other various cleaning items - no liquids here

Various UV filters, Polarizers etc...

8 Energizer AA Ni-MH batteries and charger
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

According to what everyone else seems to bring with them when shooting I might overpack lol. I would just hate to get to a shoot and have it at home and not with me and need it. It's the old boyscout in me "be prepared" that hates to leave anything at home.

Camera &amp; Lenses

1Ds Mark III
    85L f1.2 II
    24-105L f4 IS
    70-200L f2.8 (non IS)
    16-35L f2.8 II

Flash &amp; Accessories

580EX IIX 2
    580EX
    ST-E2 Speedlight Transmitter
    25mm Extension Tube II
    TC-80NS Timer Remote Control
    Manfroto Carbon Fiber Tripod &amp; Ballhead
    Various UV Filters, Circular Polorizers, ND

Everything nicely fits in my Lowepro Pro Trekker II AW Camera Backpack.

When I need to travel light for a hike i have a smaller Lowepro backpack that I usually take my 16-35, 24-105, 70-200, 580 ex II, tripod, cable release &amp; filters.

What I carry depends on what I think I'm going to be doing.

The only consistent items are a 5D, batteries, and a charger.

Last trip I went light, with 35 f1.4, 24-70 f2.8, and 135 f2.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

What I carry depends on what I think I'm going to be doing. The only consistent items are a 5D, batteries, and a charger.

Good discussion point - you always take your charger? Mine never goes in the camera bag.

If I'm headed out on a big shoot (i.e. a weekend bicycling event), I take a small plastic bin with a power strip that has my wall-mount Canon chargers all plugged in, some short cords that fan out to my AA chargers (I have 4 four-battery chargers, about to order 2 more), etc. and put that in the vehicle. I'll carry that into the hotel, and I'm considering a Vagabond power pack (from the makers of Alien Bees) to run the chargers in the vehicle. I'm slowly figuring out how to balance my need for AA batteries between more batteries and more chargers.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    I'm considering a Vagabond power pack (from the makers of Alien Bees) to run the chargers in the vehicle
    Peety,

I own the Vagabond II power pack from Alien Bees and it is not designed to run as a continuous power supply. Here is a little excerpt from their instructions. I would be afraid to use it for what your looking for.

"<span style="font-size: x-small;"]The system is not designed to operate modeling lamps continuously as this would deplete the battery rapidly, cause slow recycle and could overheat the inverter. It is permissible to operate the lamps briefly for light composition, then they must be turned off."

It would be a use at your own risk if you did I would assume. Just throwing that out there I remembered reading it in the instructions I got with the unit.

Fred~

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Doane

I own the Vagabond II power pack from Alien Bees and it is not designed to run as a continuous power supply. Here is a little excerpt from their instructions. I would be afraid to use it for what your looking for.

"<span style="font-size: x-small;"]The system is not designed to operate modeling lamps continuously as this would deplete the battery rapidly, cause slow recycle and could overheat the inverter. It is permissible to operate the lamps briefly for light composition, then they must be turned off."

It would be a use at your own risk if you did I would assume. Just throwing that out there I remembered reading it in the instructions I got with the unit.

Fred~
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I don't think the chargers would represent nearly as much draw as modeling lights. Nonetheless, other ideas I've considered are UPSes and just sticking the UPS + charger bin on a hotel luggage cart and rolling the combo into the hotel room (all great until it rains...).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

CANON 40D w/ Canon battery grip

4 spare DSLR batteries

530EX II

430EX

Flash diffusers for both Speedlites

rechargeable Energizer AA batteries (tons)

70-200 f2.8 L IS

24-70 f2.8 L

Tokina 11-16 f2.8

1-16GB, 1-8GB, 1-2GB CF cards

Cleaning equipment.

Hoping for a 5d Mark II soon. 8D

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsreal
    a single 2GB card

Do yourself a big favor and buy at least one more card. 2GB is fine, especially if you don't shoot RAW. You don't want to be out somewhere and either run out of room or have a card fail. Be sure to get a decent brand--e.g., SanDisk or Lexar. They're not that expensive. (You don't need the Extreme III or IV--the Ultra II will do very nicely.) Also get at least one extra battery, if you don't have one. I never bother with Canon-branded batteries. I've had great results with cheap batteries I've bought on eBay and the third-party batteries sold by B&amp;H and Adorama.

At some point, you might also consider a wider lens, like the 18-55m IS lens that now comes with a lot of Canon consumer DSLRs, if you don't already have it. It's actually a pretty good lens, far better than the original 18-55mm that I got with my used 30D.
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR