Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gimme one good reason not to buy PocketWizards

Gimme one good reason not to buy PocketWizards

So I'm tired of waiting for RadioPoppers to come back in stock and I'm tired of agonizing over the multitude of brands of radio systems (I've looked at CyberSync, Cactus, RP, PW, Elinchrom...the list goes on). I am on the verge of pulling the trigger and getting a pair of PW FlexTT5s. The Mini is only $20 cheaper than a Flex so there's not much point, might as well just get two Flexes. And that would be maybe $200 more than if I went with RP JrX or CyberSyncs. Sure, I want to save money as much as anyone else, but I think my time and frustration is worth more than the $200 I'd be saving.

But here's what got me thinking. I saw the PWs and they're the only ones who have a direct hot shoe connection. They look like they're designed from the ground up to work with Canon's Speedlites. I don't want to have to fumble with little bits and pieces of gear that get damaged or lost, not to mention that these bits are not exactly cheap either! $17 for a little adapter or $5 for a plug or cable here and there adds up quickly. And I'm not confident enough to mess around with buying and using weird little gadgets to make things play nice with each other.

I'm aware of the RF interference issues with the PWs, but for now all I have is one 430EXII and I don't plan on getting the 580 any time soon.

So someone give me a good reason not to go ahead and buy the PWs. Here's my breakdown:

PW Pros:
    • Integrated hotshoe / no need for adapters
    • ETTL + HSS
    • firmware upgrade capability

PW Cons:
    • Expensive
    • RF interference (may be resolved in the future)

Re: Gimme one good reason not to buy PocketWizards

The PWs are excellent, and they're getting better. The beta firmware brings second-curtain flash capability and some neat compensation knobs for bounced and/or high-power flash, which tells me they're trying to improve and fix whatever they can.

As far as the interference problem, I think there are two fixes that haven't gotten much publicity. One is to change channels. There's a tech bulletin on their website suggesting certain channels because they're in a frequency range (albeit tight) that seems to encounter less interference. I've started with the highest of frequencies (see the manual for the chart), and I've been having excellent results with it. Second is to use them as basic triggers, i.e. have your flash in manual mode with desired power selected. This is personal theory, and nothing that I've seen elsewhere, but they've said that the interference problem is only on the receivers with RF-noisy flashes, not on transmitters that have a local flash. Therefore, I suspect the interference problem is partially with the pre-flash (and/or recharging after the pre-flash) which manual flash would avoid. PW wouldn't want to say this, as it'd defeat the primary reason for creating these units.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    So someone give me a good reason not to go ahead and buy the PWs.

It sounds to me like you've done the research, know the pros and cons, and are ready to pull the trigger on these things. Go for it. ;-)

Alan

I'm aware of the RF interference issues with the PWs, but for now all I have is one 430EXII and I don't plan on getting the 580 any time soon.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I've worked with the 430EXII's with the PW's, and they give me no problems. The 430's put out less RF noise, and for that reason alone, you're making the right choice. Like you, I like the direct to hot shoe attachment, and no fiddling around modifying my flash units.

I can't. I have a few of the Radiopopper JrX (2 receivers and one transmitter) and they will wind up being sold soon to help purchase the PocketWizard gear. I'm just not happy with them overall.

Get the PocketWizards.

Quote Originally Posted by Graydon

I can't. I have a few of the Radiopopper JrX (2 receivers and one transmitter) and they will wind up being sold soon to help purchase the PocketWizard gear. I'm just not happy with them overall.

Get the PocketWizards.

What didn't you like about the JrXs?

So, I have a question. It sounds like the PWs (or any wireless trigger) negate one of the advantages of a 580EX II over a 430EX II, which is the ability to trigger other flashes as a master. Is that correct? If so, and there aren't really other legitimate reasons to get a 580EX II, I think my first flash will be a 430EX II instead. I've been wanting a flash, but was kind of waiting until I could afford the big one.

Also, if the 430EX II being less RF noisy is less problematic when using the PW stuff, that is actually an advantage, and by being able to buy the cheaper flashes, it negates some of the extra cost of the PW system.

Can a PW also remotely fire the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
    So, I have a question.

You seem to have more than one question. []

It sounds like the PWs (or any wireless trigger) negate one of the advantages of a 580EX II over a 430EX II, which is the ability to trigger other flashes as a master. Is that correct?

Sort of but not really. The Speedlite master/slave system uses optical signals. The problem with this is that if you have bright ambient light or the strobe light path is obstructed, then you may not get the desired triggering to take place. With any radio frequency (RF) solution such as the PW, you solve this problem. Obstructions are very common--e.g., shooting with an umbrella, or using a hair light. However, my understanding is that with the 580 attached to the PW, you now control the lighting ratios of any additional slave units in manual mode. If you only have 430s on PWs, then there is no way to adjust ratios except by adjusting each flash unit (not sure if there's a remote controller available from PW). So there are still advantages to the 580EX II.

If so, and there aren't really other legitimate reasons to get a 580EX II, I think my first flash will be a 430EX II instead. I've been wanting a flash, but was kind of waiting until I could afford the big one.

If you want to use PWs, definitely start with a 430EX II. That's my impression. The 580EX II has other advantages, though: (1) It has a larger guide number, so is significantly brighter; (2) it has a larger AF assist beam and therefore works for 1-series bodies across all AF points; (3) it has more flexible positioning of the flash head; (4) it has the ability to connect to a portable external battery.

Also, if the 430EX II being less RF noisy is less problematic when using the PW stuff, that is actually an advantage, and by being able to buy the cheaper flashes, it negates some of the extra cost of the PW system.

Can a PW also remotely fire the camera?
    <div style="clear: both;"]
    </div>

Yes. You would need to put the FlexTT5 on the camera as a receiver, and hold a transmitter (a MiniTT1 or second FlexTT5) to trigger. If you need to trigger a strobe in this setup, then a third PW is needed. Again, that's my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

So, I have a question. It sounds like the PWs (or any wireless trigger) negate one of the advantages of a 580EX II over a 430EX II, which is the ability to trigger other flashes as a master. Is that correct? If so, and there aren't really other legitimate reasons to get a 580EX II, I think my first flash will be a 430EX II instead. I've been wanting a flash, but was kind of waiting until I could afford the big one.

Some of the trigger systems depend on a camera-mounted flash, but not the old PWs and not the new PW system (in basic mode). To have the camera perform E-TTL operation with multiple flash groups, you'll (temporarily) need an on-camera (aka on PW on camera) 580 to manipulate multiple zones. Unfortunately the in-camera zone controls on newer cameras is not available to the PW system. PW is developing a "Zone Controller" which provides a direct control for three zones of light (most likely within the confines of Canon's zone system, namely that the C group is intended as a background group and should not be illuminating the subject). I for one can't wait for this option.

As someone else already pointed out, there are some legitimate reasons to get the 580. If you need the power, you need the power and there's no substitute (well, two PWs and two 430s...). Last winter, I took some pictures of our indoor Christmas village, and used Rosco 58 gel to create a moonlit look. With a 580 on a stand 4' above the village, I didn't have enough power, and had to fly a second flash to get the shot. I also happen to be addicted to the option for the external battery pack.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

PW Cons:
    • RF interference (may be resolved in the future)

Consider this "resolved" - PocketWizard is now giving away a free AC5 soft shield for every TT5 purchased. See http://blog.snapfactory.com/?p=925 for the story and http://www.pocketwizard.com/news_events/promotions/ac5 for the signup form (coming today).