Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a PHOTO-DISPLAY website?

Recommend a PHOTO-DISPLAY website?

Just wondering what site(s) you guys like.

I'm looking for a simple site that lets me build a gallery of
    thumbnails and lets the viewer see them at a few different sizes,
    including the original. (and be able to see the exif data) I also need the ability to limit who sees them - eventually I'll be a working photographer and I only want to display my best when the time comes to market my services.

I looked at Flickr. Some of the pix I can see at different sizes but most of them there's just one (what I consider) small size, maybe 800x600. And no exif data.

Pretty much the same story with Shutterfly. These huge sites seem to be setup for selling you stuff rather than viewing images.

I tried the Kodak "EasyShare" thing but again it's just one small size and no exif.

I looked at photobucket but I'm not crazy about the "Download" option on every image - and I couldn't find a way to see the image at the original size. (or the exif data)

Naturally my first choice is to find a free site but if I have to pay I will.

So I'm looking for a stable website where I can post a few hundred photos, see them at at least 2 sizes, one of which is the original, and be able to tag them for privacy and/or search functions. I'm on a PC laptop if that matters.

Thanks for any thoughts you'd care to share...

Re: Recommend a PHOTO-DISPLAY website?

I don't have any experience with photo websites, but... you may be able to develop your own website for less than you would pay for a web service. Most internet providers offer free websites from 2-5 gig and for a small fee, you could probably getthe amount of memory you need for more pics. Many years ago I worked with Microsoft Frontpage and it was pretty easy to design your own webpage. Perhaps some of our web experts can offer some advice.
    Bob

Good point - that's ultimately what I'd like to do. Unfortunately I get confused every time I start the process. I can build a computer but I can't for the life of me figure out what I need to get a website going, who are the legit web hosts and what options I need.

...so many options, so many different meanings of the terms. For instance, I saw "unlimited storage" a few times, but reading further I found out they're referring to the web pages (and emails, etc.) themselves, not "storage" is in "store backups of your 300GB of photos."

I guess they're 2 different things - a backup site like Mozy and a web host where you build a web page. I just need to figure it all out. But I can't do it right away, so in the meantime I wanted a site that will let me show some pictures, with the few requirements I listed.

Thanks for your reply Bob.

The information you have on the Flickr photo site is not correct. Flickr fully supports EXIF data. Flickr does not modify or delete any EXIF data associated with the uploaded JPEG image. You must make sure that if you export an image from Photoshop or Lightroom that you do not remove the EXIF data. To the right of each photo on Flickr is a link named "More Properties" that when clicked on will display all of the EXIF data for that photo. In addition, Flickr allows users to display or download 6 image sizes. If you click on the menu item "All Sizes" above the photo, the following will be displayed. This example is for a 10MP original.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.91/FlickrSizes.jpg[/img]

Hi Canoli,

There's Rebubble.com which is a sales, disscussions, and display site, large images preferred for sales, one can do a fair bit in there.

Wetcanvas.com which is an art discussion site where you can upload images usually at 800 x 600mb but heaps of them.

Shutterbug.com dedicated image site, upload images, disscussions.

Joomla.com for website building. I haven't used them yet but has been recomended to me for website building.

The first threearethe ones I've been involved with with no problems.

Smugmug FTW?

Zenfolio.comis another good one... I've been thinking of using this service myself.

I recently opened a GoDaddy account and started using the Coppermine photo gallery. It fully supports EXIF data and you can require user accounts to view your photos. The only thing I don't like is you can simply right click and download the photos.

I have galleries on Pbase. It costs $25.00 US a year, but is easy to use and allows you to choose viewing sizes. Also has a nice slide show.

Larry

Zenfolio gets my vote, very user friendly and loaded with features. I've been using it for about 6 months and love it.

www.adprphoto.com

Thank you Everyone! much appreciated. And Mike, thanks for the info about Flickr - I think I got it now.

All the sites you guys posted have the things I wanted. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again!