Thread: 100% home-made lighting, first try

rzFoto

100% home-made lighting, first try

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]For years, I have been shooting solely with available light; I like the softness, the wrap-around effect and the deeper saturation (if choose to).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The downside of shooting with available light is that I shoot less especially in the winter.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Two months ago I started thinking about shooting with studio lighting but didn&rsquo;t want to spend the money without knowing if I would like it, so I made the lights myself (yes, myself and from scratch).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] This is a testing picture, with two home-made lights (made from 6 CFL totaling about 160W per light), positioned left and right to the model, and with a white reflector in between.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]I am not sure if I like it or not, the image is a little too flat.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] What do you all think? Drop me a line or two when you have a minute.
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.16/HomeLighting.jpg[/img]

Re: 100% home-made lighting, first try

It is a little flat. Try putting more lights on one side than the other...that should help the ratio of highlight to shadow.