Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D vs. 5D Mark II

5D vs. 5D Mark II

Since I re-caught the photography bug (I took a hiatus during and shortly after collegebecause I was too poor to pay for film processing!) I have dreamed of owning a 35mm digital SLR. I have gone from P&S to Rebel to XXD and eventuallya 5D.

I currently shoot with a 50D which I think is terrific, but I seriously crave the shallow DoF, low light capability and increased dynamic range that full-frame offers. I love all types of photography but my passions are candid portraiture and landscapes.

*1<sup>st</sup> side note: I do not plan on selling my 50D to help finance this purchase. I will keep it as a backup and for both macro and telephoto work.

Nowfor the reality:Ihave only saved$500for this eventual purchase thus far so even though I am serious about this, it's not happening in 2009. I am hoping it happens in 2010 though [] I usually get a couple of Adorama or B&amp;H gift cards at Christmas and there's always a chance that I will get a bonus at work in January, which now gets split 3 ways (me, wife, college fund for kid).

I'm looking for opinions, suggestions, personal experiences, whatever. The question is: Do I buy a 5D sooner or a 5D Mark II later? I now realize that the title of this thread is a little misleading because I am not really looking to hear why the Mark II is better or what makes them different. I would rather have the Mark II and if I had the money I wouldn't be typing right now [:P] What I am considering is buying the 5D Mark I (currently is going for $1,399.95 Refurbished at B&amp;H) and using it until I could afford to sell it and upgrade to the Mark II. I figure in the time it would take me to save an additional $1,000 (the 5D Mark II is currently going for $2,399.95 Refurbished at Adorama) I could be taking tons of pictures with the Mark I. Say I keep the Mark I for a year or so and sell it for $1,000 then I "rented" it for $400for theyear which sounds pretty darn good to me. What do you think???

**2<sup>nd</sup> side note: I am open to buying either the Mark I or the Mark II used. I'm sure I could pick up the Mark I for $1,000 -$1,200 but I would be happy to pay a couple extra hundred dollars for a factory refurbished model. I haven't seen any good deals on used Mark II's (I guess no one wants to sell one!!!)

Maybe the mega-bank that I work for will reward me for all of the extra effort I put forth this year and I'll have more than enough to just spring for the Mark II right away! Your comments will not be written in vain though for I'm sure that others must have considered this too []

Re: 5D vs. 5D Mark II

Effectively renting sounds good....

I want a mkII too, and have a plain old 5D now...

I sure wouldn't sell it so that I could buy a mkII a year from now.

By the time I can do a mkII, they'll probably have a mkIII...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Effectively renting sounds good....

I want a mkII too, and have a plain old 5D now...

I sure wouldn't sell it so that I could buy a mkII a year from now.

5D Mark I release date: 08/22/2005
    5D Mark II release date: 09/17/2008
    5D MarkIII release date: 10/14/2011???

I say wait. The advantages of the 5D Mark II are significant compared to the 5D.

Everyone I know with a 5D mkI has a real issue with dirty sensors. Their images are covered in dust spots. The dust really seems to stick and be a pain to clean. I've had my 5DmkII for about 11 months and I've only had to clean my sensor once. Let rephrase that; I've only used a Rocket blower to remove dust once.

To me that is enough of a benefit, the image quality, battery life, LCD and what ever else are nice too. My only complaint with mkII is the focusing in low light, but that would be an issue with the mkI also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

5D Mark I release date: 08/22/2005
    5D Mark II release date: 09/17/2008
    5D MarkIII release date: 10/13/2011???

Yeah, that probably sounds about right.

[:'(]

If I was buying today, I would pay the extra, and even wait a little to get the mkII. But if it was a difference of a whole year... I don't know. After having full frame, I'm kind of addicted. Maybe it's just a mental thing, I don't know.

"Everyone I know with a 5D mkI has a real issue with dirty sensors. Their images are covered in dust spots. "

The Spot Healing Brush removes those Dust Spots without much effort. If you shoot outdoors a lot like I do (mostly motorsports), and change to different glass often on the fly, even with more than one body, thats just a fact of life. Refurbished 5D MkI's are going up in price. 5D is very good. Use the difference in price to invest in good glass (read that L).

JeffersonPoster

I traded in my 5d for a 5d II a few months ago. I am extremely pleased with the performance of this camera for landscape and portraits. With the USD getting so much weaker vs the YEN, you might as well make the plunge now and don't look back.

I'd wait for your bonus just in case, and at that point you can make a decision more solidly. I think the advancements on the mkII are significant enough that it would be worth the wait. I am looking forward to the day I can upgrade my 40D to a body with AF microadjustment. The mkII has that. Also, think of the wonderful HD movies you could make of your youngster!! Those will be treasured for the rest of your lives, I promise. So in that vein, consider the price of a camcorder that you may purchase, plus the cost of the 5D, and the extra dollars for the mkII makemore "cents".

5D MKII all the way.

me and the wife sport 3 5dmkII's they are awesome cameras!