Thread: 200 USD Gift Budget

200 USD Gift Budget

Hi all!

Been away for while from clicking my DSLR as it is currently in for repairs. Anyhow, I have been fortunate enough to be given a 200 USD gift budget and I would like to acquire some additional 'stuff' for my 1000D/XS. I'm am still a newbie though I have been taking pictures since 2001 with a P&S and I like taking flower photo (close-up to macro) just to give you a little background. But recently I have been reading about portraits. Currently, I only have the kit lens, oh yeah the kit lens. []

I have browsed some of Bryan's reviews on the lens and accessories and I have come upon with two options:

1) BG-E5 Battery grip + EF 50mm 1.8

2) 270EX Speedlite

That's all I can fit for the budget I have been given.. []

Which option should I take, though I am leaning in getting option 1? If you can suggest other combos to fit the budget, I would like to hear it.

Thank you in advance.

- Gelo
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Re: 200 USD Gift Budget

Either one is a great option. Personally, I would prefer option 1. You're going to love the shots that come out of that little lens and I find the battery grip really improves the ergonomics of those tiny bodies.

Second Daniel's opinion

Option 1 sounds good knowing that you have only the kit lens and for 1000/XS the battery grip will improve the ergonomics largely apart from giving you double or triple the picture taking capability you have with a battery.

Go with option number 1, after getting a battery grip for my XTI and one for my 40D I will never have a camera without one, also the 50 1.8 is a great little piece of glass.

Thanks

Joel

Thank you so much for your replies! It really has helped a lot and the way you've supported why taking option 1 is better than option 2 especially the ergonomics part. I have never thought of that point.

Wifey was supposed to get me the flash as a surprise but instead consulted me on what I want instead. I'm sooooo GLAD she asked me. []

Thank you again for your support! I'm sure I'll be having fun with that 50mm.

Cheers!
    Cheers!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenBug
    1) BG-E5 Battery grip + EF 50mm 1.8
    $120 + $110

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenBug
    2) 270EX Speedlite
    ~$150

Why not the 50/1.8 ($110, awesome little lens), my used 220EX ($65) [], and a spare battery for your camera?

option 1 of course

Personally, I am not a fan of getting the battery grip. I consider a grip to be a convenience, not a necessity like some good sharp glass. A grip isn't going to change your photography, just the way you hold the camera and how much battery power is available to you.

Think of it this way. Of all the tools that a photographer uses, the lens is the one component that retains its value best, and has the most direct relationship to the quality of the image captured.

That said, the EF 50/1.8 II is a cheap but sharp lens. It's very affordable yet the image quality is good especially when stopped down. You can even try a little trick with this lens, as demonstrated by Jim Talkington of prophotolife.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_xfKcxvro

But I don't necessarily believe you should purchase the 50/1.8 II. I am more inclined to suggest that you save up and invest in the more rugged EF 50/1.4, or the EF 85/1.8 USM, since you are also interested in portraiture. Other options may include the EF-S 60mm macro. I know all of these are significantly more than what you have budgeted for, but my point is that there is a whole world of optics out there, and the EF line of lenses will be around for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan

Why not the 50/1.8 ($110, awesome little lens), my used [url="/forums/p/2428/18789.aspx#18789]220EX[/url] ($65) [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img], and a spare battery for your camera?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

That's another feasible option. I've already got a spare battery and that 220EX offer is enticing but would really like to have some bounce flash capability like the 270EX offers. []

Thanks, wickerprints for your thoughts. I really appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

That said, the EF 50/1.8 II is a cheap but sharp lens. It's very affordable yet the image quality is good especially when stopped down. You can even try a little trick with this lens, as demonstrated by Jim Talkington of prophotolife.com: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_xfKcxvro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_xfKcxvro[/url]

[/quote]

I'll try check on the link you've provided.

[quote=wickerprints]

But I don't necessarily believe you should purchase the 50/1.8 II. I am more inclined to suggest that you save up and invest in the more rugged EF 50/1.4, or the EF 85/1.8 USM, since you are also interested in portraiture. Other options may include the EF-S 60mm macro. I know all of these are significantly more than what you have budgeted for, but my point is that there is a whole world of optics out there, and the EF line of lenses will be around for many years to come.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I do see your point and I am saving up for those things that I want. Since this will be only a gift for me, might as well get the opportunity for those little stuff that might get in handy for the meantime while I'm saving up. I could have included a shutter release cable in my options or a spare battery but I just purchased those a few months ago.
    Cheers!
    --

Hello everyone! Again, I would like to thank everyone for all of your comments, suggestions, and input. Finally, I have in my hands the battery grip and the nifty-fifty. Indeed, the battery grip improved the ergonomics of the rebel and with the added weight, IMHO, I feel the camera more. [] Next stop would be a speedlite!

With the new toys at hand, I can't wait to try them out. At first, I forget about the grip when I try to shoot in vertical position. I guess I need to be out more often with the grip. [] Regarding the nifty-fifty, I have to admit, I'd be needing some getting used to it. First impression about performance -- it's fast and sharp!

Here's one of my best so far with the nifty-fifty: 50mm, f/2.8, 1/60 sec, ISO 100
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]

I think she's sad about her haircut.. []

Thanks for viewing!
    Cheers!
    --