Thread: Tripod types: what's the real difference

Tripod types: what's the real difference

Currently I own a manfrotto aluminum tripod and Manfrotto ball head niether of which I am really happy with. Though I can lean on this rig and it seems to support a great deal of weight, I get a lot of vibration from the tripod and the ball head is anything but smooth and it drifts slightlyafter I lock it down. I am currently shooting a Canon 50D with grip anda 100-400L---Not too much weight---maybe 8 Lbs tops. I do plan buying a 500 F4L one of these days, and I would like good support for it. I also plan on purchasing a Gimbal head when I buy the lens.

My real question is: What's the real difference between Aluminum, basalt, Lava and Carbon fiber. And does a couple of pounds really justify the cost??

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Bob

Bob

Re: Tripod types: what's the real difference

Bob,

I have also been looking at the Manfrotto brand for a tripod for a 500 F4L. When you state you have vibration, what is the main cause of this? What model do you have?

Bob

I couldn't tell you since it doesn't have a model number on it and of course, my memory fails me. It is an aluminum, 3 section, with wingnut style leg locks and a center post. It is very sturdy. Regarding vibration, even with the ball head locked down, I notice some minor vibration--this could be the ball head or the tripod, not sure which yet. I have read that the carbon fiber tripods are better at vibration reduction but I would like to hear that from someone who is experienced with both. I personally have two minor problems with the Bogan-Manfrotto aluminum: 1. in the winter time it's COLD to handle. 2. Its a little heavier than I would prefer, but not worth the &500-700 for a good carbon fiber.

Hope this helps,

Bob
    Bob

I think your looking I the wrong direction. If you plan on buying the 500mm and already have the 100-400 I have used both quite a bit the only solution I have found is a gitzo 55 series with a wimberly head
    The other option is a manfrotto 495B ( I think that's the one). The problem is almost impossible to avoid without being cost or weight prohibitive the gitzo sell for over a grand and weighs around 8lbs the manfrotto is cheaper around 500 dollars but weighs around 15lbs

These are you two best options as there is relly no light weight and cheap way to work with these lenses

good luck though

Coastal kid88

Thanks, Iappreicate the feedback
    Bob

other opinions are appreciated

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    And does a couple of pounds really justify the cost??

Probably not when you consider the legs and the head by themselves. But adding 3 or 4 pounds to an already heavy pack does make a big difference in my experience.

I had an aluminum rig for a year before I got a carbon-fiber setup and the difference is like night and day. My heaviest lens is the 70-200/2.8IS, which is certainly heavy but nothing compared to long lenses. So the 500 you spoke of - that's a separate consideration, and you'll need a gimbal head for that baby, and some serious sticks to support it. In fact I'm sure its case is heavier than the 70-200!

But for tele zooms and shorter, you may be surprised how much of a difference 3 pounds can make when you're carrying everything around all day. You didn't say what type of shooting you do, so maybe you're not hiking with your equipment very often. But if you are, I would make the jump to carbon-fiber and never look back. Your back will thank you years down the line...

I got a low-end Manfrotto setup - 488RC2 head and 190CXPro4 sticks - and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't get any bothersome vibration and almost zero slippage, even with the 70-200/2.8IS. The head is fairly cheap - if I had the budget at the time I would've gone for one of Manfrotto's hydraulic rigs (or Gitzo) - those things really lock down your shot. But the 488RC2 is a very good under-$150 head.

If you plan to use a tripod do yourself a favor and get the very best setup you can afford. Even my "low-end" rig is a pleasure to work with, and a very big difference from the alum stuff I was using before.

Good luck on the search - let us know what you decide!

Just an update: Based on a suggestion from one of you, I put my 50d and 100-400l on my aluminum bogan tripod. found a target and went to live view at X10 magnification and IS off-----wow, the constant vibration wasimpressive--I would have never guessed.

I then went to my kitchen, put the camera and lens on the counter top, with a couple of books to prop up the lens and did the same thing. Absolutely no motion, no vibration, and most impressive---tack sharp images at 100%, they even looked pretty good at 200%.

Though I can't blame an inexpensivetripod on all my difficulties, I think I just found the solution to one of them--

Unfortunately, now my equipment "want list" just changed---Hmmm, another L lens or Gitzo 55 series sticks and comparable ball head.

Thanks to all (from various posts) for thier suggestions and insight.

Bob

Bob