Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Your Opinion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I Need Your Opinion

I have quietly turned on a new site feature - a product image comparison tool:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Product-Images.aspx?Lens=113&LensComp=675&LensComp 2=674

I only have a handful of lenses included so far, but I have images for most Canon lenses ready to go. Before final resizing, I'd like your opinion on what that size they should be. I'd like to make them as large as possible, but I realize that horizontal scrolling will result for some if they are too large. I know I can't please everyone, but I'll try!

The current images are 1200px wide. Is this good or would you prefer smaller images?

Thanks for the help!

Re: I Need Your Opinion

I voted for the 1200px (as is); however, you might want to know that when I looked at the comparison site on my work laptop your ads on the right side were 3/4s covered up because that laptop's horizontal resolution is 1366 pixels (of course I could see the ads if I scrolled). At home it's not a problem because I'm using a 22" inch monitor with a horizontal resolution of 1680 pixels. Of course, if someone is truly interested in the comparisons, they're probably serious enough about photography to have a monitor with a resolution high enough that it won't be an issue.

Just something to consider...

Second the "Large as possible" option. My laptop is 1440 x 900, and I like what I am seeing on it.

How will lenses like the 600 f/4 fit onto that comparison and keep scale?

Separate scaling for super-telephotos?

Perhaps a helpful tip for those with smaller monitors is to use the zoom feature of your browser. This can be done easily in Firefox, Chrome, and IE by holding the Ctrl key and scrolling the mousewheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Gilley

Perhaps a helpful tip for those with smaller monitors is to use the zoom feature of your browser. This can be done easily in Firefox, Chrome, and IE by holding the Ctrl key and scrolling the mousewheel.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ah, yes, that is true...I never actually use that feature and forgot it existed. Twelve-hundred pixels or bust! ;-)

I run my desktop at 1024 X 768 for a 17 inch display (the display can not show better resolution than that). My newer 22 inch display has a higher resolution so it looks fine.

There is lots of white space on the left and right that could be trimmed up if horizontal space is an issue. I would rather see smaller images with the option to click on it to make it larger (OR have an option drop down to select the image size). Not everyone has large screen set at higher resolutions - I still see people running 800 X 600 on a 20 inch displays (I can read it from across the room!).

Quote Originally Posted by jimr
    I would rather see smaller images with the option to click on it to make it larger (OR have an option drop down to select the image size).

I thought about suggesting an option for scalability, but then I thought that would require uploading multiple versions of each image. However,on second thought, I think it's easy enough to encode that scalability into the HTML using a single [large] version of the image (we can already do something similar when posting an image to a thread).

I find them somewhat large. The lens comparison tool is a great idea, though. []

love seeing the lens images, nice addition and the size is looking good.