Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I can't get a sharp picture for the life of me!

Re: I can't get a sharp picture for the life of me!

Quote Originally Posted by jlau

I have found that indeed f/4 range is sharper, but the point if my getting this lens is that I can use it in low light with aperture wide open. Otherwise...what was the point of getting a 2.8 if it can't give me a sharp image?

Where is this sharpness control...??

Image sharpness at certain lens openings vary from lens to lens. Try to read the lens review for your lens on this site so you can get an idea on what gives opening gives the sharpest image and and at what zoom range. Like what was said having a 2.8 lens gives you somewhat better options when shooting in low light but that dopesn't necessarily mean that the 2.8 lens would give the sharpest image at 2.8 opening.

as for the sharpness controls... its found in the camera menu. not really sure with the 7d but on my Xti it's within the picture style controls. that is to say you have to know how the adjust parameters oif your picture style to find the sharpness control. You can also post process using Digital Photo Pro that canon supplied but I think you have to shoot in RAW format to be able to adjust sharpness.

Like Jlau, I too have had this problem. Many, if not most of my shots are a little to soft for my taste in comparison to what I see other photogs posting, so I have been intently following this post for ideas. One thing I learned last night is that perhaps my expectations are too high for the equipment I am shooting with and my skill level. Based someones suggestion, I took a look at pixel peeper. com and found most of those shooting with the same equipment were getting similar results as I was---especially when viewed at full resolution. I primarily shoot with a 50d and a 100-400L and my tack sharp images are far and few between. When I looked at different combos, i.e. the 100-400 and a 5dII, the results were far different. The 5dII was much sharper than my 50D with the same lens. The same thing applies when Ilooked at the 50D and 70-200L combos, thier shots were much sharper and aestheticlly pleasing. Though like most, I am always considering upgrades, but for the moment I will continue to work with what I have. I have noticed that those shots I take my time with and really pay attention to focus and other settings---they are much better than those I take in a hurry----unfortunately, when shooting wildlife, a hurried shot is sometimes the only shot. I am curious what others think in regards to this.

Thanks for you post,

Bob
    Bob

Are you using one autofocus point? You could get a bit of trouble using all autofocus points.

To make a long story short, typically the full-frame cameras do a better job at image quality than theFOCV cameras and some lenses are geared for this format moreso than others. I'm unable to locate the link but I have read that plenty of the 'L' lenses from Canon were specifically intended for the full-frame format.

Hope this helps.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Thanks, That helps reassure me thatI wasn't just seeing things.
    Bob

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; color: #1f497d; font-size: 11pt;"]Yes, Normally I do try and use the center point then recompose method&mdash;I find this gives me better results normally.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; color: #1f497d; font-size: 11pt;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; color: #1f497d; font-size: 11pt;"]Thanks<o></o>
    Bob

Another tip when using IS is to make sure you give the IS time to actually adjust and stabilize the lens element. If you go from IS off to pressing the shutter down completely the elements start to move and hurt you more than help. Make sure to give it half a second after your first half press of the shutter release to engage the IS before taking the shot.