Quote Originally Posted by jlau

I have found that indeed f/4 range is sharper, but the point if my getting this lens is that I can use it in low light with aperture wide open. Otherwise...what was the point of getting a 2.8 if it can't give me a sharp image?

Where is this sharpness control...??

Image sharpness at certain lens openings vary from lens to lens. Try to read the lens review for your lens on this site so you can get an idea on what gives opening gives the sharpest image and and at what zoom range. Like what was said having a 2.8 lens gives you somewhat better options when shooting in low light but that dopesn't necessarily mean that the 2.8 lens would give the sharpest image at 2.8 opening.

as for the sharpness controls... its found in the camera menu. not really sure with the 7d but on my Xti it's within the picture style controls. that is to say you have to know how the adjust parameters oif your picture style to find the sharpness control. You can also post process using Digital Photo Pro that canon supplied but I think you have to shoot in RAW format to be able to adjust sharpness.